Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Photoshop 6 vanishing toolbox  (Read 2172 times)

gattino12

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Photoshop 6 vanishing toolbox
    « on: January 25, 2018, 08:49:38 AM »
    I have had photoshop 6 for many years. Suits my needs fine. Today when doing some simple photoediting I clicked somewhere in the vicinity of the left side toolbox/bar/palette while my eyes were elsewhere. The contents of the toolbox have vanished. The appearance is that of the box having been minimised. That's to say the top blue bar of the box and the photoshop eye symbol are still there..but the contents, the tools themselves, are not. There is nothing to click to restore or expand the box if it has indeed been minimised.

Googling the problem finds scores of people who have lost their toolbox - most, though not all of whom had the problem successfully solved. But all of them that I can find involve the whole box/panel itself vanishing (hence such solutions as windows- show tools or reset all pallets etc), they also mostly involve later/different versions of photoshop so involve clicking on tabs which don't exist in photoshop 6.

None of the above have helped. Attached is what it looks like on my screen along with the message that appears if I right click the eye (clicking the blue top bar does noth8ing). If I press the download option it tells me an unknown adobe online error has occurred and to try again, or else reinstall from the disc...which would be a job as I haven't had it for years.  What's happened and how do I retrieve the missing tools?

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Photoshop 6 vanishing toolbox
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 04:41:29 PM »
    You minimized the toolbar. This happens when you double-click the title bar of a tool window.

If you double click the light-blue title bar in the floating toolbar window (The one that still contains the "Go to adobe Online" button) it should restore to normal size and show the tools again.

This feature was removed at some point- I think in CS- so modern web sites documenting common photoshop problems never mention it.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

gattino12

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Photoshop 6 vanishing toolbox
      « Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 02:11:10 AM »
      Thank you!  It worked. Of all the things I tried - right clicking and left clicking included - double clicking never even occurred to me. I'd forgotten that was even a thing!