Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DataPath RGB Pro2 question  (Read 2638 times)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
    DataPath RGB Pro2 question
    « on: January 30, 2018, 03:27:31 PM »
    I recently spotted the following capture card on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datapath-Limited-RGB-PRO2-DGC103C-Dual-VGA-capture-card-PCI-interface/263422180565?epid=0&hash=item3d552f7cd5:g:5tgAAOSwBOlaUGLG

https://www.datapath.co.uk/images/manuals/past-manuals/VisionRGB-PRO_capture_card_user_manual.pdf

https://www.datapath.co.uk/supportdownloads/legacy-downloads/rgb-pro-driver/VisionRGB-ReadMe.html

I want to know if this card could capture a VGA output from my old computer in the basement to another computer.  Could it do it?  I already have a VGA splitter, and have verified it works.  Hoping to use it to capture the computer game Stonekeep by Interplay without having to go the other route and use DOSBox.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: DataPath RGB Pro2 question
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 04:55:32 PM »
    Not sure what the goal is here...
    Simply capturing vid and moving it to another PC won't allow you to play the game...only view the capture...
    The game needs to be installed to the 2nd PC to do anything...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:00:06 PM »
      My intention is to play the game on the computer that the video is being sent from to the card.  What I need to know is if the video will display on the second computer where the video capture software is active.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 05:05:34 PM »
      No
      It has to be played on the PC its installed to...whether it'll live stream to another PC at the same time you would have to read the card manual...
      That being said i gotta believe there will be some lag involved.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 06:50:22 PM »
        Would I be able to get a proper signal on the DataPath card when sending it from the older computer?  The video signal will be going through a splitter first, then to both the older computer's monitor and the capture device at the same time.  The game would be played on the older Windows 98 computer, and the signal would go to the capture card on the Windows XP computer.  Could there be a chance it may be able to display Windows but be unable to display the game?  Stonekeep is an MS-DOS game.  If I attempted Doom for Windows 95, it would have a higher resolution than Stonekeep would be capable of displaying.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 07:12:39 PM »
        It almost sounds like you want to extent the VGA cable a long ways.
        VGA cable was never meant to run a long distance, but some have done in in a few experiments. Likewise, the keyboard and mouse cables can also be extended. The VGA cable is hard because it has high frequency data.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 07:31:26 PM »
        The game would be played on the older Windows 98 computer, and the signal would go to the capture card on the Windows XP computer.

Why dont you simply install the game to this PC and install DosBox and run it ? ?

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 07:34:21 PM »
          Why dont you simply install the game to this PC and install DosBox and run it ? ?

patio,

I've already done that before on my newest computer.  I want to see if I can find a way to video capture the game being played on the real MS-DOS.  I just need to know if the signal will display properly with the card.  I've already got a cable that can plug into it.  The only card I have that a VGA cable can plug into is the Osprey 210, but I know it won't work with that one.  I need to know what frame rate the DataPath card can capture at.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 07:53:48 PM »
          Well once again i'll refer you to the capture card's Manual...

I have no clue at all if what you are attempting will succeed...or not...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 07:54:11 PM »
          According to the specs, " captured frame rate will match the source." which likely means that it will match up with the Hz of the VGA signal, up to the stated maximum transfer rate of 650MB/s (which requires special PCI configurations I expect).

I'd consider 1024x768x24-bitx60Hz to be an effective "maximum" (135MB/s) where you could expect reasonable capability. You may be able to go higher but it depends specifically on the motherboard in the capturing system. of course this also is assuming the rest of the system that is performing the capture is up to it, and the VGA cable isn't too long to cause problems.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »
            One seller replied and even sent a video and images showing me what it was capable of.  He showed a PowerMac being shown being captured under Windows XP, and even connected the output of ESXi he has running on a server which is just a text console.  (80 X 25)

Here's a few images he sent me.  The first is of the ESXi.  The other is the PowerMac's desktop screen.  He already sent me a link to where he got the drivers, so I'm covered for that.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 05:24:47 PM »
              One seller replied and even sent a video and images showing me what it was capable of.  He showed a PowerMac being shown being captured under Windows XP, and even connected the output of ESXi he has running on a server which is just a text console.  (80 X 25)

Here's a few images he sent me.  The first is of the ESXi.  The other is the PowerMac's desktop screen.  He already sent me a link to where he got the drivers, so I'm covered for that.

I found out that one of our current computers with Windows 7 has two PCI slots.  I could make use of one.  Just need to find a video capture software that this card is compatible with.  I know OBS Studio is not compatible with it, so that's out.  If Debut Video Capture Software will work, that's great news.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 01:12:33 PM »
                Bought the card.  It came in the mail yesterday.  It did exactly what I was looking for.  Now the only obstacle in my wanting to capture gaming from that old computer is dealing with getting the line-out signal going to both the computer speakers and the computer doing the capturing.  Cannot use the speaker out on the card because it's greater than line-level and will result in distorted sound.  I will have to split the audio signal.