Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Really stunned here...  (Read 2008 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Really stunned here...
« on: February 05, 2018, 09:56:54 PM »
Greetings CH!

Im really scratching my head over this one, and would like some opinions. I built this machine back 3 years ago (in 2 weeks) and it was intended for basic mail, office, youtube work for my father. A tad overkill but ill mention the specifications below.

He ran windows 7 pro 64 bit until 10 was FORCED on his machine and ran 10 for about a good 8 months before begging for windows 7 back. I installed windows 7 pro again, and added a wireless card as we changed where the router sits. All was well until about last month where he would boot the computer up to find a X through the wireless icon, and a reboot would solve his problem. I found windows had ditched a few other drivers, but not the wifi.

Anyways, I thought it was the wireless card and was prepared to simply replace it, but then another family member infected the machine, so I simply formatted and reloaded windows 7. The install went well, did all its update through the card I thought it was good to go. Same issue comes back. So I tried that wireless card (Linksys WPN600N PCI dual band card) in my personal PC, no problems. I fired in a different PCI card into a different slot, and now the card will appear to be fine, but CONTINUOUSLY drop connection claiming "limited or no connection".

The system has had 2 clean install of windows 7 professional 64 bit, 2 different wireless cards that are fine in other units, but not this, and even got a SSD put in. I've updated the BIOS but aside from trying out windows 7 in bios mode, (as its installed in UEFI right now) and trying windows 10, im completely out of ideas. I have 2 weeks left on the boards warranty.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Specs:
Asus H97 - PLUS motherboard
4gb Kingston DDR3 RAM
intel i5 4620 quad core CPU
240gb Kingston V300 SSD

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Really stunned here...
    « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 10:08:30 PM »
    Hi

You did load the motherboard drivers when you re installed windows ? If not they are available here  :)

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H97PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

You need the "Intel Chipset Driver"  to great PCI cards working correctly.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 06:33:11 AM »
    Of course I loaded chipset drivers. How else would have this machine run for the past 3 years?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 06:40:52 AM »
    comda - no need for an attitude - VintronNZ was only trying to help.

Please look in device manager - are there any yellow or red symbols?

And I'm guessing you've tried moving the computer closer to the wireless router (just as a test)? If not, please do so.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 07:43:07 AM »
    he would boot the computer up to find a X through the wireless icon

This is somewhat unusual. Do you perhaps mean that there is an X through the network icon? An X through the wireless icon means that the wireless capability has been disabled through a hardware switch.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 09:25:37 AM »
    comda - no need for an attitude - VintronNZ was only trying to help.

Please look in device manager - are there any yellow or red symbols?

And I'm guessing you've tried moving the computer closer to the wireless router (just as a test)? If not, please do so.

It wasn't attitude LOL. The computer is barely a few feet away from the wireless router, and has been in that spot for 3 years. I even took it to my own home to find the same issue on a completely different router, and different ISP. When I used it in my room at the same home, I had no issues downloading updates for it when it was being setup but after in general usage I did experience issues. There is no issues in Device manager. I grabbed the latest driver available from the manufacturer, but for windows 7 pro, that appears to be a driver from 2010. :/

This is somewhat unusual. Do you perhaps mean that there is an X through the network icon? An X through the wireless icon means that the wireless capability has been disabled through a hardware switch.

There would be a red X through the network icon, and when clicking on it, it would present the box field as if there was wireless networks to be present, but none where appearing. That card does not present that issue in my AMD build, and the replacement card does not present that either.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 09:41:57 AM »
    OK<- the network icon is different from the wireless icon. The network icon is replaced with a wireless icon if wireless LAN devices are present, and it uses a Network icon otherwise. Some laptops have a little hardware switch (less common nowadays) that turns off the wifi, and the system can detect that there is a wireless adapter but it's turned off and will show the wireless icon but with a red X to indicate it is disabled.

From the sounds of it the WLAN device itself seemingly isn't being installed properly on that system. I presume that the wireless adapter doesn't appear in "Network and Sharing Center" either?

Might be helpful to know what this wireless card is.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 10:04:17 AM »
    It still appeared in the device manager and the settings panel. Its as if it was just literally off. and a restart would solve it.

That card was a Linksys WPN600N as listed above. The card I put in there now, that drops the connection I forget what its called, but I know it uses a Realtek chipset. My father is dropping off the unit to me tonight, so ill get back to you exactly what card it is.

Coco423

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 07:02:32 PM »
    I have a laptop, had same problem, I had accidentaly turned of wireless network capability. Switched it back on and worked fine. I mentioned this to help you. I think you should try turning wireless network capability back on if it is turned off, like I did.