Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External hard drive  (Read 2150 times)

Duckstrumb

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    External hard drive
    « on: February 07, 2018, 05:16:19 AM »
    Hi All,
    I am looking for help with the following, I don't know if this is the right forum section, but here goes!
    I have two 500Gb external hard drives, one Toshiba and one Buffalo, until yesterday, when I connected either to my laptop(Lenovo 80EU) USB it connected as local Disk(F:) and worked fine. Now the Buffalo connects and works as usual (F), but the Toshiba comes up as "H" and is inaccessible, both still work OK on TV etc.
    How do I get the Toshiba to connect again?
    Any help for a dummy would be appreciated, thanks.
    G Mac

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: External hard drive
      « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 05:16:36 PM »
      Hi

When you plug a usb drive into a Windows computer it is given the next available drive letter which if there was another drive plugged into USB would be why the toshiba showed as drive H.

When you say the 2 drives work in the TV, do you mean the files can be opened on the TV from the Toshiba as well as the Buffalo ?
      I would try running disk manger in windows and see if the Toshiba shows and is 500GB in size. With disk manager you can change the drive letter to something else, as well as bring the drive on line.

How to use disk manger is explained here.    https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-disk-management-2626080

Another downloaded program to see if the drives are healthy is HDsentinal.  https://www.hdsentinel.com/

You can use it for 30 days free.

Duckstrumb

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
        Re: External hard drive
        « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 05:25:46 AM »
        Hi VintronNZ,
        Thanks for the info.
        The Toshiba comes up as "H" - (Inaccessible) even if it is the only one connected to the laptop. As I said, I've been using both hard drives for a year now, (I've not had the need to connect both at the same time, but always - until now - whichever is connected has shown as "F".
        I use them mainly for video and both work fine as usual when connected to TV.
        I tried each (separately) on another laptop and each came up as "E", again the Buffalo files were accessible but the Toshiba was inaccessible!
        I'll plod on through the advice you've kindly offered.
        Thanks
        G Mac