Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Data usage efficiency between devices streaming video?  (Read 2151 times)

Whatsamodem

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Data usage efficiency between devices streaming video?
    « on: February 17, 2018, 09:47:25 AM »
    Hello, this is my first post on this site, will try to be clear and concise, hope this is the right place for this question.
    I'm clueless about computers, and frustrated with the amount of data I consume or more accurately have to pay for!
    Where we live the only choice for internet access is satellite, or wireless hotspot. We had Hughesnet for awhile, for the last five years or so we've had a Verizon Mifi Jetpack Hotspot (5510 I think).
    In a nutshell, my wife and I have two iPhones and a Mac desk top computer. 98% of our data usage is consumed by the desktop Mac primarily watching youtube video.
    My questions are many, why does the Mac computer devour data watching youtube? Will my usage be reduced if I used the iPhone to watch youtube as opposed to the desktop Mac? Along those same lines would it be wise to purchase an iPad to watch youtube or would it devour data like the desktop Mac?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Data usage efficiency between devices streaming video?
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 08:37:16 AM »
    Adblocker might reduce data consumption on the Mac if the browser has an adblocker option. Only other way to reduce data consumption would be to trick the browser into thinking the connection is slower to get a 360p or 720 vs a higher definition which will make videos lesser quality but you will save from wasting data on your data plan by getting thinner data streams vs the fat ones of higher definition that are eating it up. Other than that having a device acting as a gateway between the hotspot and the other devices could throttle bandwidth and give some control of slowing the flood gate to a device that is a bandwidth hog, but this is a tricky setup that is advanced and tricky and comes at a cost of time and money to get right.

Coco423

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 10:24:16 AM »
    Do you have Chrome? Chrome has a data saver option.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 10:30:50 AM »
    Do you have Chrome? Chrome has a data saver option.

Thats for browsing...not streaming.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "