Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dead pc@home after poweroutage 1 day after2/7/18 update.  (Read 1924 times)

clnsflknr

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    dead pc@home after poweroutage 1 day after2/7/18 update.
    « on: February 17, 2018, 10:32:14 PM »
    One day after 2/7/18 MS update, there was a 3hr power outage and when the power returned, my work dell couldn't boot and I later found that 6 more pc's at the office were down as well. IT vaguely said it was from a previous update and the power outage triggered the bug which altered some bios settings preventing the machines from initiating boot-up. That was just some background. I came home to find my primary machine off which was on when I left and my secondary on when it was off when I left. I pushed the power button to my Lian Li and nothing no pwr button light and so I thought without surge protection I had been fried. I began to setup my secondary machine for primary use when after ten minutes or so the Lian Li was up. This machine was really dirty so a couple days later I shut it off and cleaned it with air and when I hit the power button It was just like 2days earlier only this time it has never awoke. I tested the psu with an led readout psu tester and all of the voltages are right on. I tested the power button and it checks out and the green standby/ blue memory led's are lit on my Intel DQ77MK 1155 socket mobo but no power button light and no fans. I don't want to start buying things just to eliminate possibilities. I've pulled the gpu, pci-e ssd, and the memory cards and this machine is not responding. these fans won't run. bad psu that tests good? bad mobo that lights up? or is it the i-5 laying there dead in it's 1155 coffin. IDK!?!?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: dead pc@home after poweroutage 1 day after2/7/18 update.
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 08:30:29 AM »
    I'd swap the power supply out with a known good out of a working computer and see if that helps.

If that doesnt help then the main board most likely may be cooked.

clnsflknr

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 10:14:47 AM »
      The psu was old and decrepit at that pwr fail might've triggered a bad capacitor. It's possible that psu can't carry a load and just reports good voltage but lacks the current to back it up. We'll see, I'll grab a psu asap and get it to the mobo I don't want to get this mobo out of the case with my multitester and pinpoint the ailment cause there's too many area's for false readings especailly if there's circuit damage. I've also done a capacitor drain with the power button, changed the 0.8v 2032 for a new 3.0v and cleared the cmos with the board jumper. I could check the fans circuit's resistance but nothing else til a new psu gets here.

clnsflknr

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 12:56:37 AM »
        life's too short to own a psu lcd readout tester that doesn't load the circuit. I plugged a working psu in and my lian li woke up and said, "(wha what the *censored* happened? how long have I been out?)" And so crisis averted and a new psu is on it's way. The lesson learned today was: stop bein a cheapskate and get a UPS or you'll suffer the wrath of the grid. word.