Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SMB1 not supported for connecting to a share on XP system from Win 10  (Read 17028 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Curious what the best plan of action is here other than doing away with Windows XP. I have an older gaming rig that is Windows XP and I decided to make a share on it for my new Windows 10 system to have access to a shared folder so that I can download UT99 custom game map files using the safety of Windows 10 and up to date antivirus and then copy them after scanning them for malware to the shared folder on the Windows XP system. However I went to access the shared folder at say \\192.168.100.14\share$ and instantly Windows 10 popped up stating that the connection is insecure and Windows 10 by default doesnt support SMB1. It then has a URL in the pop up message, but you cant click on the URL in the pop up message to follow the link as well as you cant even highlight text in this message to copy/paste it into browser.

Looking online I see a mess of people showing tricks on how to get Windows XP and Windows 10 to talk, but not sure what the best approach is. Some have where your adding an allowance for SMB1 for Windows 10 which weakens the security of that Windows 10 system. Others have an intermediary system which is Windows 7 which 7 will talk via SMB1 and SMB2 and that acts as a bridge between XP and Windows 10, as well as using a 2008 Server was a communications bridge between both. I was hoping there would be an ability to add SMB2 to Windows XP Pro SP3 but I havent found that option yet.

So looking for advice on how to solve this issue where I want my Windows 10 system to be able to access a folder share on my Windows XP system.... Is it as weird as making a local LAN VPN tunnel for both systems to communicate via a common protocol that both support or some other means? To me a VPN tunnel locally for both to talk and share a folder just seems overkill but maybe its the only way. This is the first time I ever heard about SMB1 and SMB2. I have made shares between XP and Windows 7 for years with no problems, but Windows 10 I migrated over to vs using Windows 7 all the time and it came to be that I found this issue when trying to share a folder on the XP 32-bit system with the Windows 10 64-bit system.  :-\

The Windows XP SP3 system I have the firewall shut off and it has a static IP Address with no gateway set so its offline from the internet and can only communicate on the local LAN.

Currently saving the files to USB stick and moving them to the XP system that way but sneaker network is just stupid when there has to be a way to set this up over network share of some kind.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: SMB1 not supported for connecting to a share on XP system from Win 10
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 09:34:06 AM »
I have a  Windows XP desktop (Custom Pentium 4 that I've mentioned) and a Laptop (Thinkpad T41) and both have no trouble connecting to my main Desktop and accessing file shares and copying files back and forth. You have to turn SMB v1 on in the Windows Features. I had it disabled for a while after that Wannacry thing since that was where the vulnerability was but changed my mind.

1. Start->Run "Control"
2. Switch to Category View if needed.
3. Choose "Uninstall a Program" in the "programs" Category.
4. Turn Windows Features on and off
5. Turn on SMB v1.

I'm not sure if not having it with an active gateway could cause problems. Mine both get Internet Access and are visible on my LAN to all other systems.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 09:54:41 AM »
Thanks for sharing that BC...

I was slightly fearful of switching to SMB v1 on Windows 10, but looking further into it, as long as a router is in place SMB v1 should be good to go on the local LAN and only threat for problems would be if something was brought in on the local LAN and executed there that targets devices using SMB v1 I am assuming. My router doesnt have any port forwarding to this Windows 10 system so assuming all should be safe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 10:30:08 AM »
Reference:

Image result for what is SMBv1
Server message block (SMB) is an application layer network protocol used typically to provide shared access to files and printers. ... Windows Server 2003, and older NAS devices use SMBv1 natively. It is a very inefficient protocol; Microsoft have advised all customers to stop using SMBv1.May 18, 2017.  ...

How to Detect SMBv1 Use on Your Network Using Traffic Analysis

Sounds complicated.  :-\