Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor problem (randomly shutdowns for a second)  (Read 1995 times)

Nyarurin

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Monitor problem (randomly shutdowns for a second)
    « on: April 17, 2018, 06:53:09 AM »
    Excuse my poor english.

So i am having this problem for about 8 month now. It all started with my old Samsung monitor. When i played in specific scenarios it started to just turn itself off for a second just to turn on again.
    I will spare a lot of text if i jump a month or two forward, when after a lot of deduction i have found, that it's a monitor problem. It went black screen (turned off the screen) if i tried to project some specific color patterns.
    I have found a place in game, where the problem hit constantly. And after some testing during which i couldn't fix this problem using another GPU card, or using another cable not even another cable type (i usually used DVI but i tried with another DVI and after that - with HDMI).
    So then i tried to go nuts and just made a screenshot from that game scene, upload it to my laptop, and then connected my monitor to that laptop. After that i projected the screenshot from the laptop to my monitor. Aaaand... after some waiting (that was a usual deal for that problem) it went black! So this way i determined, that my PC did not cause any of those black screens (which i should've expect as on the shadowplay recording (done via GPU) there was no problem in game during moments, when monitor were going black).

So far so good. I thought i got the problem solved. The monitor was old and all so it shouldn't have been a huge surprise. So i bought a new monitor. This time i went for BenQ GW2760HS as i liked that it had all the basic interface options (VGA, DVI, HDMI) and all the reviews were great.

But... After just 3 days of use... It started to do the same f-ing thing as my old Samsung... It started to turn off and on, aka go black screen. The scenarios in which it did that were differ from my Samsung monitor, but all the other signs where the same. So ok... maybe i just got unlucky... a bad monitor - stuff happends, right?
    So i turn it back to the store and bought another one from a different store (so it wouldn't be from the same supply).
    So the second new monitor... To be extra cautious i tried to switch my GPU to another PCIe slot on the motherboard, and connect monitor not with the DVI but with HDMI. Just to shake things up...
    Aaaand... it started to go black ON THE FIRST DAY of use...

At this point i was... kind of lost... I was paranoid to the max. I sold my GTX1060 to miners, as i was thinking - that it somehow killed my monitors, and I bought and installed a new GTX 1050ti. To be 100% sure i also bought a new PSU (previously i was using Seasonic X760, now it is Seasonic Focus+ Platinum), and bought a brand new motherboard for my core i5 4670k (a very cheap ASUS H81M-D R2.0 but it was brand new).
    And then once more a brand new BenQ GW2760HS monitor, yet from another store and from another supply (it even had a little different options in the menu, so it's not from the same bunch as those two before).
    For the first month... everything was fine... I relaxed a bit. And then just out of nowhere it went black once... I... I was so desper at this point that i let it slide and pretend that nothing happend. Although... From there i started to record my display with shadowplay constantly.
    2 months went silent... I relaxed again. "Maybe that one blackout was a software malfunction or something..." - i thought. I wanted to think so even tho there was nothing unusual in the system journal for that day.
    I fooled myself... And after 2 month - problem hit again. Now - i recorded it with shadowplay (basically, what it recorded - is that nothing went wrong on the system side and it was indeed problem on the monitor side of things). And now problem become more pronounce, as just like with my old Samsung (that i was still keep using for some time despite the problem, before a changed the PC parts and bought the third BenQ monitor), this problem hits more and more often as the time goes on. So now my monitor is gioing black screen at least once in a few days. And it will become worse very soon. My Samsung was on the point where i couldn't do anything that was using dark or green colors on the screen and not get blackscreen in a 10-15 minutes period.
    So it is dying... again... The third BenQ monitor. Now on almost a new PC build.

Am i REALLY just that unlucky? And it's just monitors deffects. Or there is something, i am missing here?
    I am out of ideas and out of money... A am in need of help.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Monitor problem (randomly shutdowns for a second)
    « Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 04:12:38 PM »
    My thoughts on this are.... have you added a battery backup and powered the monitor and PC through the battery backup? If you have a quick fluctuation in power it can cause a monitor to act up but a PC could keep running because the capacitors in the power supply were able to smooth out the quick dip and rebound of power.

I understand that you spent a lot of money and dont want to spend anymore probably, but this is a possible solution. If not a solution it will be for at some point when you have a power outage or spike in power that could damage your system. I have 7 battery backups throughout my home and they keep the TV, Telephone, Broadband Internet and Network hardware running as well as my daughters PS3 and her TV and my 3 computers in my office running as well as my wife has 1 for her computer. My power is always flickering and occasionally brown outs or out for periods of time since I live away from a major city in an area susceptible to power problems. I have some that lasted 10 years so far and I know one of these days the lead acid batteries in them will fail to keep stuff running but APC makes good battery backups.

Nyarurin

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 06:35:30 AM »
      *Sorry if i will sound a bit pissed off. I appreciate any help. I am just pissed off about that problem, not you.

My thoughts on this are.... have you added a battery backup and powered the monitor and PC through the battery backup? If you have a quick fluctuation in power it can cause a monitor to act up but a PC could keep running because the capacitors in the power supply were able to smooth out the quick dip and rebound of power.
      No, i don't have a UPS. But, and there is a big BUT. I hoped that i mentioned that in my main post, that on my first monitor that i used up a lot as it was breaking down, i have found the pattern. It only went black when a specific color ranges were displayed. It's hard to explain. So please try to follow.
      I have found a specific scene in Fallout 4 (as it was in this game where my first monitor had shown the signs of the problem), where i could recreate this problem anytime. I made a save file in that spot, and was testing things by just loading the save file and... waiting.
      That was before i just took a screenshot from that scene and recreate the problem viewing that screenshot on the monitor using laptop (that is how i found out that it was a monitor fritz and not the PC software/hardware).
      So. I could recreate the blackscreens anytime with that scene. Any... time... So it probably not just a random voltage drop, right? But wait, i have more. I even could stop the problem by droping the brightness on my monitor to minimum. That changed the colors just enough to stop the screen from turning off.
      And while you could say that by dropping the brightness down i was changing the monitor power consumption, and so - preventing the problem that was power related.
      BUT! Yes.. even more buts. And yes, i may sound silly but this is exactly why this problem is driving me nuts.
      So... even tho this scene stopped to cause the problem to appear, then i could go to a place that was a little better lit in game, and the problem would appear again. Or i could just bring the brightness higher in the game options and it will do the same - screen will start to turn off and on again.
      And while we are on this topic - the dynamic contrast was turned OFF all the time. So the monitor wasn't manipulating it's backlight brightness depending on the scene. The backlight brightness was statick all the time.
      Also, when i was recreating the problem, it went in cycles. So at first i needed to wait a bit. At the beginning i was waiting up to 20 minutes, but as things went worse - monitor would start to go black in 2-3 minutes at the test scene. And after it went black once - it will start the cycle and will be turning on and off each 15-20 seconds or so. Unless i change the scene.
      Also, if just switch monitor off for 20-30 seconds, and then turn it on again - i would need to wait a few minutes before it will start to go turn itself on and off again on the test scene.
      So it was like if it was overheating. But even if it did - remember, that it was just one monitor. One from many that started to behave similarly after a short time of use. And all the new BenQ monitors don't even heat up noticably - they are LED and very power efficient.
      So from this you can clearly see that, sadly, it wasn't just fluctuations in power. I mean - i could summon the problem just by viewing a particular image for long enough. And for a few months!.. The monitor WOULD NOT go blackscreen while i was watching youtube, or wrighting some documents in Word. But as time went on - the problem worsen, and it started to go blacksreen in many many other scenarios. To the point where i can no longer use it.

Also there was time not too long ago when wiring on a lower floors of the building caught on fire... It was evening and i was near my PC. When the light in my room started to flicker as the power was dying - my monitor and PC worked just fine. I turned them off immediately ofc. But my point - when the power actually did noticably dropped, the monitor (it was my third BenQ) was keep working. And it is not a big surprise as they are declared to work in 100-240 voltage range. And the main voltage standart that is used in my country is 220 volt. So there is a huge wiggle room for that.

This is freaking me out so much... I am almost ready to believe in magic and curses, and Gods, and Cthulhu mythos. It just so... strange. I dont know what to do.
      This kind of problem had NEVER happened to me before in all 15 years that i used a PC...

If there is some unknown problem with power delivery and somehow it only effect my monitors - i would need an expansive "Double conversion UPS" as they call it. That basically will keep powering my monitor from the battery all the time. But it's a huge investment and i don't even know if it will solve the problem. Regular UPS will just send power to monitor directly from the on wall power socket, which will not help if the power has some bad properties (like amplitude or frequency).
      I also thinking about buying an HDMI to VGA converter, so it would convert the signals from my PC so if it somehow is killing my monitors via DVI and HDMI connections - it should shield it.

I am desparate and want to cry... This is so stupid and surreal...

Nyarurin

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 06:50:52 AM »
        I don't know if it can help somehow, but here is a link o video that i took, when i've found the spot where my first old Samsung started to recreate the problem constantly. It wasn't much of a help to whomever i showed it... But at least you can see the problem in action.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZlYC9LQCms