Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can’t load drivers on Dell Latitude 100L with win98SE  (Read 6701 times)

Jgunn4

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Can’t load drivers on Dell Latitude 100L with win98SE
    « on: April 18, 2018, 06:36:27 PM »
    Hey guys,

Loaded win98 SE onto an old Dell Latitude 100L laptop and I want to finish it off so I can play some retro games on it but I’m having trouble getting any drivers on it because the cd/dvd drive doesn’t recognize any cds (even though I used a cd to put win98 on it) and usb doesn’t recognize. How can I get these running so I can put the drivers on? Thanks!

EndOfForever

Rookie

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Can’t load drivers on Dell Latitude 100L with win98SE
    « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 11:23:17 AM »
    It seems quite like a catch 22 for you.  If you can't update drivers, then you'll have a hard time updating the devices that can read new drivers!  There's two options I've discovered while doing some digging.  First, you can use thread to find a link to an unattended bootable CD: https://msfn.org/board/topic/98369-driver-packs-for-windows-959898seme/?page=4.  You will find this link http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/W98driverPacksFromUBCD/ which will give you access to driver packs that you can apply to a win98 bootable disk that you will have to create.  This involves uppacking the installation file and putting them in the directory yourself.

If you don't like that option, you may have to transfer drivers over a network if your computer is able to since your CD drive and USB ports aren't recognizing disks or devices. 

If you can't/won't do either option, then I recommend considering moving up to Windows 2000 which is a little more modern but should still be able to play retro games.
    PM me for useless computer facts.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Can’t load drivers on Dell Latitude 100L with win98SE
    « Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 03:54:19 PM »
    Are you sayin the CDROM isn't recognised ? ?
    Or are you sayin the PC doesn't have Win98 drivers ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "