Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Programs using OpenGL Crash  (Read 3589 times)

Falstaff

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Programs using OpenGL Crash
    « on: April 22, 2018, 12:50:42 PM »
    Hi! I’ve never posted on this forum before and I couldn’t find any previous posts similar to my issue, so I wanted to say thanks up front for any help that can be provided. I've also extensively scoured the internet for suggestions. I consider myself a fairly decent PC guy, but this problem has me baffled to no end.

Any program I attempt to use that requires OpenGL crashes almost immediately upon opening it. Occasionally, OpenGL works, but 90% of the time it just crashes the program. This issue is repeatable in Cinema 4D, Cinebench, OpenGL Extension Viewer (when trying the rendering tests), browsers when OpenGL is being used, and various other 3D applications.

My system:

• Windows 10 Home Edition (Version 1709/Build 16299.371)
    • AMD Threadripper 1950X
    • Gigabyte x399 Designare motherboard
    • Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 (64GB across 8 sticks)
    • EVGA 980 ti hybrid (x2)/EVGA 980
    • EVGA 1300 PSU

My troubleshooting so far has included:

• Installing the latest Nvidia drivers (using DDU to remove the old drivers)
    • Rolling back the Nvidia drivers to two different versions that were considered stable (using DDU to remove the old drivers)
    • Updating BIOS to the latest version
    • Updating the chipset drivers to the latest version
    • Removing all GPUs and trying them one at a time in difference PCI slots
    • Confirmed the memory is compatible
    • Testing the memory
    • Testing the monitor cables (I knew this wasn’t it, but I figured it couldn’t hurt)

I don’t know what else to try. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Programs using OpenGL Crash
    « Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 01:28:03 PM »
    My only time I ever had to use OpenGL was when I was using a gaming system with Linux. Other than that most of the stuff uses DirectX.

A OpenGL crash is going to be either driver, hardware(video card), or software (bug or poor programming). Additionally if your running any overclocking the system can be unstable because its working outside of normal operating conditions of native clock speed etc.

Does it pass DirectX testing to where its truly only an OpenGL issue?

What exact programs or applications are crashing out on OpenGL use?

Is this overclocked and if so have you undone the overclocks and seen if it behaves when overclocks set to slower normal clock?

Falstaff

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 01:52:29 PM »
      Thanks for your help. 3D programs use OpenGl extensively, and my PC only crashes those programs. I'm not having crashes in programs that don't use it. As an example, Cinebench has two tests, one for CPU rendering and one for OpenGL. I can run the CPU rendering test without issue. As soon as I try the OpenGL test, the program crashes.

I ran the Windows DirectX Diagnostic Tool. It found no problems with my GPUs, so I'm assuming that isn't the issue, unless there are additional tests I can run to test that.

The programs crashing are only animation and 3D programs, which use OpenGL for viewport support. These include Cinema 4d, Akeytsu (animation program), Toon Boom (2d animation program, which uses OpenGL for anti-aliasing), Cinebench (for testing OpenGL), FurMark (tests OpenGL), and OpenGL Extension Viewer (OpenGL testing). I use a lot of non-OpenGL programs on a daily basis for hours on end without any crashes, such as InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop. I believe Photoshop may use OpenGL when used for 3D models, but that isn't a function I ever work in.

I've tested each video card separately in different slots, but it doesn't affect the issue at all.

I haven't performed any overclocking.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 02:24:55 PM »
      I would revert back to the original drivers on the CD that shipped with the card...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Falstaff

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 06:43:58 PM »
        Unfortunately, even with a clean boot, I tried a couple of program using OpenGl, but they crashed.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 06:48:55 PM »
        After doing the above ? ?

Falstaff

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 09:05:15 PM »
          I didn't think it was the drivers since I've rolled them back several times to various stable versions, so I completely uninstalled the Nvidia drivers using DDU. I then installed an AMD Firepro GPU that I had and its latest drivers. OpenGL programs still crash even without any Nvidia drivers. I feel like that rules Nvidia out as a problem, so I'm not certain what to check next. I plan on running a more thorough memory test overnight, but I don't have high hopes that it will find anything.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 10:01:46 PM »
          I would revert back to the original drivers on the CD that shipped with the card...