Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Formatting A CD-R with live file system not working.  (Read 2911 times)

Ajfer03

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • Your everyday nerd.
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Formatting A CD-R with live file system not working.
« on: May 06, 2018, 06:49:15 AM »
Hey everyone, I recently put some software onto a CD-R I had. I used live file system on the disc and put my files on. Then when I put it in my Windows 7 machine, I got all the software needed from it, but then when I went to go delete files, it didn't free space, it was taking up more space! So I tried to format using Windows built in formatting software, but once again, it managed to take up more space rather than free it up. Any suggestions?
"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Formatting A CD-R with live file system not working.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 09:00:01 AM »
It is not physically possible to delete or remove content from a CD-R.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 11:28:40 AM »
Need to use a CD-RW Disc. Once a CD-R is burned the space can not be freed up. You can only add data to whatever free space is there. Surprised it allowed formatting of a CD-R. Usually only CD-RW discs take to formatting.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 01:13:42 PM »
Since Vista, Microsoft has had the ability to put a "Live file system" on R and RW disks. It is packet-writing using the UDF file system. You can add files until the disk is full, and if, on an R or R disc, you "delete" files from the compilation thus created , they are no longer visible, but (of course) that won't free up any space, in fact it will use more space since an updated directory tree has to be written. The space is reclaimed on an RW disc however. The Live File System option is used by default by AutoPlay when formatting/erasing a CD/DVD -R or -RW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_File_System

https://www.howtogeek.com/126547/htg-explains-live-file-system-vs.-mastered-disc-formats-in-windows/

« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 01:50:21 PM by Salmon Trout »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 01:27:22 PM »
You can not write to a CD-R disk once it has been used.
Is the above statement true?
For the original post, it is true.
But, hypothetically speaking, it can be done. At the present time the trick is not widely used or clearly documentation.  It is of historical value.**  Here is info from the archives of Computer Hope.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001586.htm
How to add more information to a CD-R disc
Windows XP and later provides a built-in capability of adding, or burning, files to a CD-R disc. In some cases (Windows 8 and earlier), this process asks whether you want to close the CD after burning the files to the CD-R disc. Closing the disc removes the ability to add more files at a later time, but makes it possible for nearly every drive and player to read the disc.
See the link above for more detail.

** A USB stick is now so economical and easy to use  that trying to use CD-R as backup media is of little value for most personal computer users.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 01:51:35 PM »
You can not write to a CD-R disk once it has been used.

Define "used". You can write to a CD-R or CD+R disk in different ways. If you write a single session and close the disc, that's it. Finito. Nada mas. Rien ne va plus. Disc no longer writable. But you have been able to use 'multi session' writing since the 1990s, and also with packet writing you can add data until the disk is full.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 02:11:56 PM by Salmon Trout »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 02:38:47 PM »
I thought, "here's a use for that 25-stack of DVD+R discs I bought 5 years ago" (just before getting a smart TV and NAS, and also just before my DVD player died and was not replaced). I formatted a disk to UDF using AutoPlay and created 4 folders on it, into each one I then copied the same 24.5 MB of photos. Total data 98 MB. Then I did some steps...

1. Properties: 104 MB used. Some overheads apparent.

2. Ejected disk and put it back. Properties: 136 MB used.
You have to eject the disk before you can use it in another PC. This 'finalises the current session', or whatever the UDF terminology is, and, of course, adds data to the disk.

3. Deleted 1 folder. Was asked if I wanted to permanently delete. Yes.

4. Properties: 137 MB used.

5. Eject disk.

6. Put disk back in, Properties: 141 MB used.

This is all exactly like the OP described. The disk is still writable, I just added another 248 MB of pictures.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 03:08:09 PM by Salmon Trout »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 04:29:52 PM »
Ajfer03, if you want to reclaim disk space to re-use, you need to be using disks with RW at the end of the type name, like CD-RW, DVD-RW. But bear in mind the RW disks are more fragile than ordinary -R disks. More easily damaged by scratching, or getting hot, for example, and sometimes they just plain fail. You use it 3 or 4 times and then it's dead. Or won't read in another PC, or even the same PC. Why do you think flash drives are so popular?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 12:48:50 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_writing

Quote from: Wikipedia article
Packet writing allows users to create, modify, and delete files and directories on demand without the need to burn a whole disc. Packet writing technology achieves this by writing data in incremental blocks rather than in a single block.

Deleting files and directories of a CD-R using packet writing technology does not recover the space occupied by these objects but, rather, they are simply marked as being deleted (making them effectively hidden). Similarly, changes to files cause new instances to be created instead of replacing the original files. Because of this, the available space on a non-rewritable medium using packet writing technology will decrease every time its content is modified.

The most common file system for packet writing systems is UDF.

Due to the characteristics of optical rewritable media such as CD-RWs and DVD-RWs, the ability of data sectors to hold their contents diminishes when changing them frequently (since re-crystallized alloy de-crystallizes). To cope with this the packet writing system can remap bad sectors with good sectors as required. These bad sectors cannot be recovered by formatting the media.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 02:35:27 PM »
Thanks for the link. I did not realize there was clear documentation about this trick.
Here is the key part of the trick:
Deleting files and directories of a CD-R using packet writing technology does not recover the space occupied by these objects but, rather, they are simply marked as being deleted (making them effectively hidden).
This concept existed before modern CD technology, but I do not know what it was called. It was used on an older form of optical storage.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 02:40:11 PM »
It's not a "trick", The UDF disk format has been around since 1995, 23 years ago.

It is worth pointing out that data which has been "deleted" from a UDF-formatted -R (read only) optical disk is merely inaccessible. it has not gone away and can be accessed by data recovery tools.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:32:35 PM by Salmon Trout »