Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question about a sata hard drive  (Read 1906 times)

zinger

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Familiar
    Question about a sata hard drive
    « on: May 13, 2018, 06:36:51 PM »
    In another post I mentioned I was interested in a WD Sata hard drive and was curious what the other plugins are besides the power and Sata plugins. You guys may call them sockets. Here is what I'm talking about. It is to the right of the aforementioned plugins. A good view is the fourth picture from the top to the left of the hard drive picture.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cache-Desktop-Drive-WD10EZEX/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526176636&sr=8-1-fkmr3&keywords=sata+hard+drive+wd+blue+1T

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Question about a sata hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 06:47:03 PM »
    Are you referring to the pins that are on the right-side of the connector block?

Those aren't for a connector- they are jumper headers.

They are used for certain specific configuration features- you place a jumper block which will short between two pins.

In the case of the WD Blue in particular, they are used during certain phases of initial factory configuration. It can also be used to disable the use of spread-spectrum clocking used in the drive's logic to reduce EM emissions.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

zinger

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • Experience: Familiar
      Re: Question about a sata hard drive
      « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 07:01:39 PM »
      Thanks BC_Programmer, just curious.