Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: FireFox ends extended suportforXP & Vista June  (Read 6314 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
FireFox ends extended suportforXP & Vista June
« on: May 29, 2018, 01:18:50 PM »
Alternative title could be: Use XP naked if you dare.
If you use XP, you already know Firefox has an extended  support release. Just now Mozilla says that it will end on June XX.** After that date, XP and Vista users will browse naked.
Read Here:
https://windowsreport.com/firefox-windows-xp-vista/
The above was  published  last year.  Others now cite this because the day is fast drowsing near. Now is the time to change.  But  how?

**XX was not given.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:32:41 PM by Geek-9pm »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: FireFox ends extended suportforXP & Vista June
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 05:20:48 PM »
I run FFox on both a Win2K and XP rig...i have zero issues with security and i'm kinda sick of hearin about it every 3 month news cycle...

Everyone else can worry i guess...to me it's nonsense.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dude111

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 01:58:15 AM »
Yes Patio its all scaremongering BS to try and scare people off of older stuff.....

Its good to see you not being taken in!!

Mark.

Adviser
  • Forum Regular
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 06:39:16 AM »
@patio,wow, still using a Win2K and a XP, impressive!just curious, why? some sort of legacy software requirements or just simply no need to upgrade?now this is in no way negative, but I'm genuinely amazed when I hear of people still running XP PC's.  (and W2K, again, wow!)  :)

Dude111

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 07:34:39 AM »
Well why not use it???

Win2k is a good operating system and im glad Patio has his own mind and realises this :)

I happen to love Win98se (Which is also good) and you wouldnt believe how many ppl have tried to scare me off it!!

Kinda sickening the control they try to get!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 08:52:59 AM »
My Main systems are on either Windows 10 or some flavour of relatively recent Linux, But I've also got systems running Windows 7, Windows XP, and Windows 95. I also have a PowerMac G5 running OS X 10.4, and a PowerMac G4 and iMac G3 running Mac OS 9.2.2. Technically I have Windows 98 Installed on an old laptop but it doesn't POST anymore. so I'd hardly call it "running"...

The Windows 95 system is too underpowered for the web today. the iMac G3 is just on the cusp- using Classilla I can use more "basic" sites (like ComputerHope) without much fuss. The PowerMac G4 and G5 are held back more by the browsers not having newer features than the systems themselves not being capable of running those features. But Both can be used reasonably competently- the PowerMac G4 can play 480p youtube videos without a problem for example, so it still has some use left!

I use Windows XP on a Pentium 4 for some older Windows games which are easier to get running on it. It also gives a nice separation, so I don't have a lot of old software installed on my main PC. (older games like to change fullscreen resolutions and stuff which causes some annoyances on my Main system)

I also have Windows XP on a Thinkpad T41. I bought the system for a few dollars as I like Thinkpads. It actually came in handy. Recently I got a lot of 12 broken Nintendo gamecubes (I like buying broken stuff for cheap and trying to fix it) one of them had some kind of rather rare Modification which allows it to run homebrew software and has a bunch of interesting tools, but the driver software only works on 32-bit Windows, so I just moved the laptop (they are portable, after all!) and I was updating the firmware and backing up memory card save files and such in a jiff.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 10:38:19 AM »
Here is an item of interest.It was posted in 2012 and revised in 2016 and has a nice summary of the Windows OS history.
The History of Windows Operating Systems
Microsoft Windows is a family of operating systems. We look at the history of Microsoft's Windows operating systems (Windows OS) from 1985 to present day.
The pie chart is now old, but does show that awhile back XP had about as many users the popular Apple OS at that time.

Back to topic. Firefox still offers downloads of early ESR versions. No longer supported, but they work very well and yum can keep on using version 52.7 ESR with Windows XP. Look at this:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.7.4esr/
I use it when on XP. It does not work on Amazon video, but I just have to use SeaMoney for Amazon video. SeaMoneky is also part of Mozilla. Why Amazon chokes on FireFox is unknown. They say it is because of XP.  Mystery.   :-\

Dude111

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 12:37:46 PM »
Yup....Alot of stuff works well now.... They just wanna scare people to newer stuff that they can spy on one with!!!

All this is IS A CONTROL GAME and most people just fall right for it thus giving them all the power they want!

So many ppl have tried to scare me off of using IE6 .. They say how bad it is,security wise,etc....... I have been using it for MANY YEARS..... If something really bad was with IE6 dont they think I might know?? (Its all how ya have it configured (Your options on the browser))

Gimme a break.....I am also tired of the MSM crap!!

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 01:05:17 PM »
Dude111, watch your language.
Use another word. 

synonyms:
refuse · waste · garbage · litter · discarded matter · debris · detritus · scrap · dross · flotsam and jetsam · lumber · sweepings · leavings · leftovers · scraps · dregs · offscourings · odds and ends · muck · trash · mullock · dreck · junk · grot · gash · debitage · draff · raffle · raff · cultch · orts