Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NTVDMx64 and direct disk access - how to allow?  (Read 3043 times)

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

NTVDMx64 and direct disk access - how to allow?
    « on: May 30, 2018, 06:18:43 PM »
    Hi!

I installed NTVDMx64 succesfully and all 16-bit applications, even games are working, but few have exceptions:
    I tried to start one of app (64HDD Pro) and it reports that direct disk access is not allowed.
    I need this application and really don't know how to enable direct disk access in Windows (no matter which NT version).
    I'm using Windows 10.1803 Pro x64 and I know that DOS has other accessing disk and many other in current OSes not supported features.
    So,
    is possible to allow direct disk access for 16-bit programs (or not all - only selected)?

Second application collection CTOOLS reports that it cannot to be executed - really don't know why - in Windows Vista x86, 7 x86 and 10 x86 (after installing NTVDMx86) works.
    Where can be problem or what a tweak it needs?

Thank you for each word!
    Miro

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: NTVDMx64 and direct disk access - how to allow?
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 07:00:52 PM »
    NTVDMx64 is a poor and loosely weitten app that has zero support...Good Luck with it...especially on a 64 bit OS.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 07:06:58 PM »
    You cannot enabled direct disk access for Virtualized MS-DOS Programs under any release of Windows NT.

Second application collection CTOOLS reports that it cannot to be executed
    You'll need to be more specific. Exactly what message do you receive? You don't even mention what this "CTOOLS" program is- I hazard that it is The one listed here Given that 64HDD Pro is for the C64. The Source code for the program is included and doesn't have any message like "cannot be executed", so it must be coming from somewhere else.

it looks like it accesses the Diskette using C's standard library routines. I think perhaps opening the actual disk drives might be unavailable through a VM since it is direct disk access.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 08:06:04 AM »
      CTOOLS now works, thank you for help.
      Miro

David747

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 12:26:54 AM »
        Hi!

I installed NTVDMx64 succesfully and all 16-bit applications, even games are working, but few have exceptions:
        I tried to start one of app (64HDD Pro) and it reports that direct disk access is not allowed.
        I need this application and really don't know how to enable direct disk access in Windows (no matter which NT version).
        I'm using Windows 10.1803 Pro x64 and I know that DOS has other accessing disk and many other in current OSes not supported features.
        So,
        is possible to allow direct disk access for 16-bit programs (or not all - only selected)?

Second application collection CTOOLS reports that it cannot to be executed - really don't know why - in Windows Vista x86, 7 x86 and 10 x86 (after installing NTVDMx86) works.
        Where can be problem or what a tweak it needs?

Thank you for each word!
        Miro

I have exactly the same problem.  Anyone got a suggestion?