Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Details Leak on PC-Focused Snapdragon 1000  (Read 6725 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Details Leak on PC-Focused Snapdragon 1000
« on: June 25, 2018, 03:49:26 PM »
This is from Extreme Tech site. They claim it is real news. Look at this:
https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/272186-new-details-leak-on-pc-focused-snapdragon-1000
What I like is the image of a Toucan on the mystery laptop.   ;D

Looks just like me!  8)
Here is a quote:
Increasing the TDP range on the ARM chips may not help bring them into competitive standing with x86 as such — there’s no way that simply allowing for a slightly higher TDP range will lift the impact of emulation altogether. But allowing the CPUs to burst to higher frequencies would absolutely give the ARM chips better performance in their own right, and that’ll become more important as ARM and Qualcomm try to establish themselves as contenders in new markets rather than struggling for the Chromebook (or Chromebook-equivalent) space.
The TDP here means:
The thermal design power (TDP), sometimes called thermal design point, is the maximum amount of heat generated by a computer chip or component (often the CPU or GPU) that the cooling system in a computer is designed to dissipate under any workload.
So, a better battery life for a better Smart Phone?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Details Leak on PC-Focused Snapdragon 1000
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 04:10:59 PM »
In summation...Yes...that's what they are claiming.

Till it rolls out into production we won't know.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 04:56:12 PM »
Read about this the other day through a geek app that I have on my smartphone that had some info on it, but as to if I would get one, it all comes down to features, storage capacity, (quality) brand name that will use this processor, and price. *If brand name is cheap, I then will look at user reviews to see if its a lemon or not and avoid if reviews are bad, but buy if reviews are like 4 stars or better of 5 and the issues found are just inexperienced people complaining about features they thought something had but didn't come with or other dumb reviews that ruin a better rating. But if real problems exist I will avoid products vs taking a gamble usually.

I currently have a NuVision Windows 10 tablet that I got for $68 on sale that can run Windows apps and programs I create in C++. I also got a Bluetooth keyboard for it and so I can use it like a PC, however at times I miss my mouse because I have to touch the screen to navigate. https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Touchscreen-Quad-Core-Processor-10-Silver/dp/B01N2USU5A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529966875&sr=8-4&keywords=nuvision+windows+10+tablet

One feature I wish my tablet had was a HDMI or other video output available to connect to a larger display, but for $68 I wont complain about that.. Only other issue is that the 32GB internal storage isn't big enough for Windows 10 updates, so its running an older version of Windows 10. So I don't use it for anything confidential like banking or online purchases. At some point I will see if I can create a symbolic link to the MicroSD Card and make for a space for the update to download to, to then be installed to the 32GB internal storage, but I also don't want to brick it, so I might just leave it be and run it as is version locked in the older Windows 10 that it came with from factory.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 07:40:11 AM »
I also got a Bluetooth keyboard for it and so I can use it like a PC, however at times I miss my mouse because I have to touch the screen to navigate.
What about a Bluetooth mouse?   I have one to use with my tablet computer.