Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Strange issue with DOS games  (Read 6924 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Strange issue with DOS games
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 04:17:41 PM »
You have more than 1 sound card installed ? ?...that may be the issue right there...remove all but the 1 that works best...

Older ver. of Windows /DOS get confused easily...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 07:58:49 PM »
    You have more than 1 sound card installed ? ?...that may be the issue right there...remove all but the 1 that works best...

Older ver. of Windows /DOS get confused easily...
    patio,

If I decide to remove a sound card, it will be the AWE64.  The Live! is not being uninstalled as I only use it for Windows-based games.  The Sound Blaster Live! stays disabled in the Device Manager unless I need to use it.  The AWE64 is also disabled in the Device Manager right now.  (I only enable one at a time.)  Also, I am having the 16 Value and the AWE64 use different I/O and IRQ settings.  If the settings conflict, there will be no sound.  The 16 Value is using I/O 220 and IRQ 7, and the AWE64 is using I/O 240 and IRQ 5.  Both are using DMA 1 right now, but I could make the AWE64 use DMA 3.  The Live! always uses IRQ 10.  If the Live! gives no sound, then the AWE64 will be removed.  The Roland SCC-1 is using I/O 330 and IRQ 3, so none of the Sound Blaster cards installed in that computer can use I/O 330 for their MIDI because of this.  I always set their MIDI to IRQ 300 but never use it because of the SCC-1 sounding a lot better.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 07:11:18 PM »
      Update:

I removed the AWE64 and put it in an anti-static bag.  I have the original driver CD, so no need to look for drivers if it goes back in.