Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: X86 prcocesor  (Read 3272 times)

Newb651

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    X86 prcocesor
    « on: July 05, 2018, 07:37:35 AM »
    Hello  ,

This is probably a dumb question but i recently purchase a used computer ( Dell Optiplex 990) for my son for a starter computer for games specifically fortnite but we cannot install it without a 64 bit and i am curious what i need to get to make it compatible ?

Thanks in advance!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: X86 prcocesor
    « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 10:44:12 AM »
    Looking up that system, it should have been sold with a 64-bit OS of Windows according to google. If you have a 32-bit install of Windows, then you will need to install the 64-bt version of Windows. There is no 64bit emulation for 32-bit OS to support 64-bit programs.

What OS and version does the Key say that should be on the computer on a label. *Please dont share the key here as for someone can steal it if shared. Just the version info.

Newb651

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 11:40:33 AM »
      Thanks for replying i will check that when i get home 

Newb651

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 07:09:47 AM »
        Looking up that system, it should have been sold with a 64-bit OS of Windows according to google. If you have a 32-bit install of Windows, then you will need to install the 64-bt version of Windows. There is no 64bit emulation for 32-bit OS to support 64-bit programs.

What OS and version does the Key say that should be on the computer on a label. *Please dont share the key here as for someone can steal it if shared. Just the version info.

Good morning , After talking with microsoft support they tell me its an oem key and to contact Dell... Well Dell was no help at all they just wanted m,e to buy new version from them.. after going back to microsoft thwy gave me the following link .

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I downloaded the file but got stcuk on this instruction.

3: Once it is Downloaded, Please right on the ISO file, click on 'file explore' and go to 'source folder

When i right clicked on it does not show "file explorer" anywhere.

Thanks again for the help

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 09:11:00 AM »
        In browser under downloads you should see it. You then will need to use a burner utility to burn it to a DVD or use a utility that will erase a 8GB or larger USB stick and make the USB stick bootable.

This will install Windows 10 clean to computer. You will want to backup any important data that you might have on this computer first before installing Windows 10.

After installing Windows 10, unless you have a Windows 10 key or can get Microsoft to grant you an activation, it will be an install that will keep telling you in the lower right corner that this version of Windows is not activated and click to activate. When clicking to activate you need a key for Windows 10 that Microsoft will approve for Windows 10 use. I don't believe a Windows 7 key can be used anymore for Windows 10 and so after this you will likely have to BUY A KEY for Windows 10 from Microsoft to activate it. However if Microsoft will grant you an activation by chatting with their support then you can get one free. If they say sorry we cant do that though, then your looking at the cost of a Windows 10 key which last I checked was $99.99 (USD) for Windows 10 64-bit Home Edition.

Cheaper route would be to contact Dell and get the System Recovery Media for that computer which would be around $35 + shipping (USD) for whatever OS version the system was sold with, which should be a 64-bit OS according to Google searching that model which came with 4GB RAM. A System with 4GB RAM should have been sold with 64-bit OS to make full use of the RAM as for 32-bit OS can only use 3GB of 4GB. If System was sold with lesser than 4GB RAM then its more likely that its a 32-bit OS system.

Newb651

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 09:35:58 AM »
          In browser under downloads you should see it. You then will need to use a burner utility to burn it to a DVD or use a utility that will erase a 8GB or larger USB stick and make the USB stick bootable.

This will install Windows 10 clean to computer. You will want to backup any important data that you might have on this computer first before installing Windows 10.

After installing Windows 10, unless you have a Windows 10 key or can get Microsoft to grant you an activation, it will be an install that will keep telling you in the lower right corner that this version of Windows is not activated and click to activate. When clicking to activate you need a key for Windows 10 that Microsoft will approve for Windows 10 use. I don't believe a Windows 7 key can be used anymore for Windows 10 and so after this you will likely have to BUY A KEY for Windows 10 from Microsoft to activate it. However if Microsoft will grant you an activation by chatting with their support then you can get one free. If they say sorry we cant do that though, then your looking at the cost of a Windows 10 key which last I checked was $99.99 (USD) for Windows 10 64-bit Home Edition.

Cheaper route would be to contact Dell and get the System Recovery Media for that computer which would be around $35 + shipping (USD) for whatever OS version the system was sold with, which should be a 64-bit OS according to Google searching that model which came with 4GB RAM. A System with 4GB RAM should have been sold with 64-bit OS to make full use of the RAM as for 32-bit OS can only use 3GB of 4GB. If System was sold with lesser than 4GB RAM then its more likely that its a 32-bit OS system.

Awesome thank you so much for the help with this it is greatly appreciated!!