Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Selective Syncing  (Read 2228 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Selective Syncing
« on: July 05, 2018, 10:53:10 PM »
I'd like to create a backup of a rather large directory - but NOT every subdirectory in it. And then I'd like to continue syncing the directories, continually omitting those same subdirectories (but copying over new subs as they get added to the original).

But I'd like it to be easy, you know?

Any recommendations on software/procedures? I've used Allways Sync n'Go for cloning major directories before, and I've also used Total Office Commander (but not very well, I just don't get the hang of that one).

Thanks for any recos.

Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Selective Syncing
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 09:27:53 AM »
xcopy with exclude file is a way... have that run at timed intervals as a batch file. Anything you don't want to have copied gets added to exclusions list file that xcopy would use to know what to skip and not copy. I have used this method before and it works well, however you would need to manually add each and every path or file you want excluded unless you create an exclusion list based on age of files which can get acquired from the date/time stamp of the files such as you only want todays file copied and not any that are older etc.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Selective Syncing
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 10:11:58 AM »
Cool. Will check that out. Used xcopy years ago, hadn't thought about a batch file. Thank you.

What I'm trying to do is create a "media server" for my Sonos that pulls music from my iTunes - but not things like podcasts, bootleg concerts, etc. So I can have a master copy of iTunes on one HD (for managing all my ipods, etc.) and the one with just "household music" on another HD, which I'll drop on a router or old PC.

(I noticed that some of the metadata on my files is screwy - shows in iTunes one way, in Sonos and MediaMonkey another... But that's a different issue for a different day. And thread.)
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.