Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: W10 not booting - arcsas.sys  (Read 4647 times)

MirEso

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    W10 not booting - arcsas.sys
    « on: July 15, 2018, 12:48:50 PM »
    Hello everyone,
    my desktop PC cannot boot Windows10, when I turned off automatic repair I got message saying 'arcsas.sys' missing (or corrupted, not sure, it's been a time).
    So I came here seeking for help, what could possibly help me? Should I try reinstalling windows? Will it work with USB installation illegally downloaded from internet? (since it's been years I last saw installation CD)
    Thanks in advance!

Salmon Trout

Re: W10 not booting - arcsas.sys
    « Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 02:10:37 PM »
    To address an arcsas.sys error you could try changing the SATA settings in bios to PATA/IDE compatability mode. (Do you have a RAID setup?)

Do you have a valid Windows 10 product key? You can legally download a Windows ISO from Microsoft and install it, but it won't be activated until you supply a valid product key.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Using a "pirate" Windows ISO is a great way to have malware on your system before you even start using it. Only use a genuine ISO from Microsoft. Don't use one from any other site, and DEFINITELY don't use one you got from filesharing / Torrent sources.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:23:31 PM by Salmon Trout »

MirEso

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 02:39:09 PM »
      My windows is legally on my PC (bought) but I no longer have such number, or at least I don't know where i could find it (if it's easily available within writing some command in command prompt I'm sorry but I'm not that skillful)
      I've chosen 'Troubleshoot' and went one by one:
      • System Restore - no restore point :(
      • Go back to previous version - We ran into a problem and won't be able blah blah...
      • System Image Recovery - no SIR on this computer (I even have USB stick with usb installation on it to start recovert-doesn't work)
      • Startup Repair - image inserted LogFile: SrtTrail.txt error: https://imgur.com/e8j7Lzm
      • Command prompt - THE ONLY THING WORKING :(
      arcsas.sys: https://imgur.com/71SVY8A
      EDIT: from what I remember and know, my PC is running 64 and the Logfile from first picture (SrtTrail.txt) is located in system32, couldn't this be an issue? Again sorry for my poor knowledge of OS

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 03:34:59 PM »
      Command prompt - THE ONLY THING WORKING
      Code: [Select]
      wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Code: [Select]
      C:\>wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      OA3xOriginalProductKey
      8xxxx-Jxxxx-Cxxxx-Hxxxx-Yxxxx
      (I redacted my product key!)

All Windows, 64 or 32 bit, have a System32 folder.
      « Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:47:46 PM by Salmon Trout »

MirEso

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 01:36:35 AM »
        I tried that command but firstly i had to select which account should start command prompt. I've chosen mine that should be admin account, it's connected to my outlook account and protected by password. Strange is in command prompt i got X:\windows/system32> and I had no media named X (maybe it's some special directory on hdd for my account ? don't know)
        • I've typed in command 'wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey'
        Outcome was error DESCRIPTION NOT FOUND metioned here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/b4425a1a-2c15-478b-9c1d-4c59dd7955fc/error-description-not-found?forum=w7itprogeneral
        So I tried that powershell way mentioned in link : https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617124/use-command-prompt-or-powershell-to-find-windows-product-key/
        POWERSHELL OUTCOME: https://imgur.com/gallery/ukWMHGB
        From what I've read, this doesn't work for w10 when it's been upgraded from w7 for free. I originally had w7 but when free upgrade came in, I upgraded to w10
        Thank you very much for your time, I truly appreciate it! :) Thanks

Term_ite

Beginner
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 09:59:41 AM »
          MirEso, your right. If you upgraded to Windows 10 during the free period, you don't have a product key, though you do have a digital license that you can access by signing into your Microsoft Account on a new computer.
          EDIT:
          When you did the free upgrade, you did not get a new 5x5 key for Windows 10, but your PC was assigned a digital license. If you need to reinstall Windows 10, simply start the install and you have an option to skip entering a key if you are reinstalling. Your PC will automatically activate after setup completes and you connect to the Internet; assuming your motherboard has not been swapped. :)
          « Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:43:00 AM by Term_ite »

2x3i5x

Expert
          « Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 12:01:27 PM »
          Just to note: you can always download windows 10 straight from the official microsoft site here if you ever need or want a new copy:
          https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 12:08:20 PM »
          Just to note: you can always download windows 10 straight from the official microsoft site here if you ever need or want a new copy:
          https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I already told him that.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 08:02:15 PM »
          If you upgraded to Windows 10 during the free period, you don't have a product key,

This is false...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Term_ite

Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 11:28:31 PM »
            Edit to original post: MirEso, your right. If you upgraded to Windows 10 (for free)during the free period, you don't have a product key, though you do have a digital license that you can access by signing into your Microsoft Account on a new computer.
            EDIT:
            When you did the free upgrade, you did not get a new 5x5 key for Windows 10, but your PC was assigned a digital license. If you need to reinstall Windows 10, simply start the install and you have an option to skip entering a key if you are reinstalling. Your PC will automatically activate after setup completes and you connect to the Internet; assuming your motherboard has not been swapped. :)

EndOfForever

Rookie

• Yes
            • Certifications: List
            « Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 01:06:21 PM »
            Edit to original post: MirEso, your right. If you upgraded to Windows 10 (for free)during the free period, you don't have a product key, though you do have a digital license that you can access by signing into your Microsoft Account on a new computer.
            EDIT:

How does microsoft associate a windows 10 license to a motherboard? Does windows put a flag in the NVRAM?
            PM me for useless computer facts.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 04:55:20 PM »
            No...it writes to the BIOS...
            I guess you could call it what you did technically...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 12:18:50 AM »
            No writes to BIOS or NVRAM, I think. When first installed Windows generates a hardware signature - CPU, HDD,, mobile chipset all have unique serial numbers, that signature is sent to the. MS activation server and associated with the product key.