Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Steam client service stop itself, Please help  (Read 3718 times)

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    Steam client service stop itself, Please help
    « on: July 21, 2018, 05:30:45 AM »
    The problem of steam won't start is steam client service, I tried starting it in Services but it stops itself, This is why steam is not starting at all, Please can anyone help me?

Do I need to restart my computer or what? help

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Steam client service stop itself, Please help
    « Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 12:54:34 PM »
    If you uninstall steam and then reboot computer and then download and install the latest version of steam then this problem should be resolved.

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 04:14:10 AM »
      If you uninstall steam and then reboot computer and then download and install the latest version of steam then this problem should be resolved.

I did but nothing

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 11:02:38 AM »
      Sounds like the Windows install has issues then and I would back up all your data to external drive and perform a clean installation of Windows, then install Steam again.

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 02:37:32 PM »
        Sounds like the Windows install has issues then and I would back up all your data to external drive and perform a clean installation of Windows, then install Steam again.

I realized that the steam client service is stopped, and when I try to enable/start it, It says:
        'steam client service started and then stopped some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs', Can you please help me with that?

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 02:56:45 PM »
        Has this system been damaged by any malware or virus's?

The fact that the service is failing to load and hold without failing means that Windows itself is damaged or infected since you downloaded and installed a new clean copy of steam.

To find the exact cause as to why Windows is having issues with keeping the steam service running is like looking for a needle in a hay stack and you dont know what the needle looks like. So its easiest to perform an etch-a-sketch to the system ( wipe the hard drive and install clean ) and start from a clean OS state and clean Steam download and install and go from there.

Have you run an up to date antivirus and checked your system over for an infection?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 05:03:20 PM »
        He's infected...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 03:47:09 AM »
          Has this system been damaged by any malware or virus's?

The fact that the service is failing to load and hold without failing means that Windows itself is damaged or infected since you downloaded and installed a new clean copy of steam.

To find the exact cause as to why Windows is having issues with keeping the steam service running is like looking for a needle in a hay stack and you dont know what the needle looks like. So its easiest to perform an etch-a-sketch to the system ( wipe the hard drive and install clean ) and start from a clean OS state and clean Steam download and install and go from there.

Have you run an up to date antivirus and checked your system over for an infection?

Well I tried scanning the system, but the problem still persists, Well I'm gonna now scan again the entire system and I'll keep you updated

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 07:33:12 AM »
          Do you have the original installation media or if its a name brand computer you purchased preinstalled with Windows and software, does you system have system recovery options built into it with a recovery partition to perform a clean install of Windows if needed?

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 07:36:59 AM »
            Do you have the original installation media or if its a name brand computer you purchased preinstalled with Windows and software, does you system have system recovery options built into it with a recovery partition to perform a clean install of Windows if needed?

I don't know, How do I check these?

DaveLembke

Sage
            « Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 09:07:10 PM »
            What Make/Model is computer? Or is this one that was custom built and lacks a name brand like HP, Dell, IBM, etc

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 02:34:17 AM »
            1. Did you actually uninstall Steam and then reinstall it? reinstalling steam over top of the existing install does not do the same thing.

2. Uninstall and reinstalling steam reinstalls Steam itself, but does nothing if the issue is caused by corrupted data in your steam library itself. You would have to completely  nuke your Steamapps directory (or temporarily rename it) and then reinstall steam and see if it works- if so something in your library was corrupted/broken.

3. If you run steam as admin, it will try to resolve any issues with the background service if it is misconfigured. It cannot do that under normal circumstances due to permissions.

4. Is steam being blocked by your firewall or security software? If the Service is unable to connect it gives up and exits.
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 08:13:18 AM »
              1. Did you actually uninstall Steam and then reinstall it? reinstalling steam over top of the existing install does not do the same thing.

2. Uninstall and reinstalling steam reinstalls Steam itself, but does nothing if the issue is caused by corrupted data in your steam library itself. You would have to completely nuke your Steamapps directory (or temporarily rename it) and then reinstall steam and see if it works- if so something in your library was corrupted/broken.

3. If you run steam as admin, it will try to resolve any issues with the background service if it is misconfigured. It cannot do that under normal circumstances due to permissions.

4. Is steam being blocked by your firewall or security software? If the Service is unable to connect it gives up and exits.

I tried these but nothing