Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I'm starting a new job in a tech support call center. Any advice?  (Read 7233 times)

EndOfForever

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
I start the job soon, I was wondering if anyone had experience in the field could give me any parting words of advice.  It will be for troubleshooting PoS systems for clients.
PM me for useless computer facts.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
Re: I'm starting a new job in a tech support call center. Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 11:32:09 PM »
This is a good place to ask. Check back here often to see who responds  :)
Meanwhile; Are you making full use of social  media?
Facebook, of course. ;D
Have you tried Google Groups?
You might look this over:
https://support.google.com/groups/answer/46601?hl=en
Get started with Google Groups
You can use online and email-based groups with Google Groups to:
    Host discussions and make plans with a team, organization, or social group. Learn how to create a group.
    Meet people with similar hobbies, interests, or backgrounds. Learn how to join a group.
    Learn about a topic and join discussions on that topic. Learn how to read and create posts.
    Create a Q&A forum for any topic, such as baking, health, or a task at work. Learn how to create a forum.
    Organize meetings, conferences, and social events. Learn how to organize events.
Note: By joining Google Groups, you acknowledge that Cloud Print sends your documents to Google. Google keeps these documents until the print job is complete. Google may store data about the print job. Learn more.
Sorry I can not help. When I worked in retail they still had cash registers.  :D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: I'm starting a new job in a tech support call center. Any advice?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 02:12:31 AM »
It will be for troubleshooting PoS systems for clients.

My Job actually involves writing Point of Sale and Inventory Management/Reservation Management software for Marina's, and since it's a small company I often get tasked to deal with support issues. In fact, coincidence of coincidence, my task for the last month or so has been a rework of our primary POS front-end to remove some limitations.

But, that said, I don't even know where to begin with giving "advice" on the matter. Particularly since it sounds like if you are in a call center you are going to be far removed from other levels of support and possibly involve a script. It's all going to depend heavily on the specific software products for which you will be providing support. Most software has "known issues" or their own diagnostic steps that you would want to take beyond just general tasks.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.