Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: found.000 to recover files  (Read 2597 times)

asterose

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    found.000 to recover files
    « on: August 29, 2018, 05:27:57 PM »

Recently my Acer ES512 laptop with Windows 10 decided not to boot.  Trying to refresh it, I was informed my drive was "locked".   While I was rooting around on the Internet I found someone who suggested running chkdsk.  But when I did, it took ALL of the files from \Windows as well as ALL of my files from my personal |User area and deleted my username.  But it created a hidden file called found.000.  In it, I can see some files are for Windows and some of them are for me in directories named dir####.chk and dir_#####.chk.  But there are more than 7000 of these and another 4000 or more hidden.  There are also ~27,000 files named file####.chk.  I tried copying them to a USB but it ran out of room for the filenames after a quarter of my 16 GB USB drive had been written to.  I have no Windows, but using the Recovery USB I have access to a limp form of DOS.  I ran diskpart and it recognizes all my paritions and tells me they are healthy.  The dirty bit has not been set either.  I found unchk.exe and filechk.exe which are supposed to restore the files, but they only work in Windows, not DOS.  Does anyone know a DOS program that will restore those files???

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: found.000 to recover files
    « Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 01:30:42 AM »
    how old is the hard drive?
    not that it really matters, bad sectors (many) have been found and the bad area locked down and whatever was residing there has been renamed found000.chk and so on.
    all you data is now broken across many found000.chk files and recovering them would be bigger than Ben-Hur.
    but if you have no backups or system images, that is all you have got.  :'(
    sadly I don't know of any software that will do it for you - but thinking about it, how could it?  it doesn't no how to 'stick' all those .CHK files together.

all that disk I/O would have buggered up the FAT, MFT and NTFS tables (however the drive was formatted) where the file indexes would live on a healthy drive.