Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External USB Optical Disk Drive Not Mounting  (Read 2551 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
External USB Optical Disk Drive Not Mounting
« on: September 11, 2018, 02:57:47 PM »
I have this external (USB-connecting) BD/DVD-RW/CD-RW drive.

When I plug it in and insert a disc, my PC makes the "connecting device" sound and it starts to spin up, then the "disconnecting device" sound, and then the "connecting sound" and then the connecting sound and then the connecting sound and then the connecting sound and then sometimes the disconnecting, and so on.

The drive shows in Windows Explorer. It will show in iTunes, but I can't rip from it (if I start, the PC starts making the disconnecting sound over and over). The disc does NOT show up in Media Monkey - although it shows there is a disc drive connected.

I have used this drive for years, and I first noticed this issue last Friday. When I reboot, it behaves fine - for a while. At first I thought maybe plugging in other devices (iPods, other drives) may be screwing it up, but today I rebooted, ripped a disc, left my desk for a but (I went for a haircut, if you must know) and now tried ripping another disc, and the issue started again.

I've tried updating drivers, but they can't seem to be found on that internet.

Any suggestions, other than regularly rebooting?

Thanks
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: External USB Optical Disk Drive Not Mounting
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 04:03:48 PM »
You said:
I have used this drive for years, and I first noticed this issue last Friday.
Years?    :o
There is no software that can fix something when it is really  broke.  8)
If there was, the hardware makers would take it off the market.

Give up. Get a new player. Or maybe find one at a yard sale.  :)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 04:09:12 PM »
I'm presuming this is a soft issue not a hard issue.

Yes, years. What's wrong with "years". Things are supposed to last for years. I have stereo equipment that I got 37 years ago that's just fine, thankyouverymuch.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 04:26:42 PM »
OK. Try this. Use another computer with a different OS.
There is a chance that a recent software update messed up your Windows system on that brand of  computer. Just try another computer.

Another way: Use a "live" CD with either Ubuntu or Linux mint. Linux is pretty good about getting generic drives that work with most hardware.

No, I am no telling you to switch to Linux. Just use it to see if it is a software thing. Linux has different software for reading an eternal optical drive.

If Linux can not find it,give up!

Make a Linux Mint Disc for a demo.

You can use either a USB stick or a DVD disc.

That might take you forty minuets  of your time.Once you got it, you have a tool you clan use over again to helps port hardware issues.  :)

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 04:06:31 AM »
As the drive is USB 2, it was probably supplied with a short usb cable or a  two headed USB cable. Meaning it needs power from 2 usb ports. If you have a different cable then try the drive on a usb 3.0 port (normally blue) or with a  two headed USB cable.

This is from 1 of the reviews.
"but when it was plug to my PC (it uses 2 usb ports, 1 for data and another for power) it did the job"
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 08:55:40 AM »
Thanks, no. It's a USB A<=>B cable.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 02:34:11 PM »
Hi it seems like the drive isn't getting enough current to initialize . From the specs: Features: 1. External slim DVDRW Drive 2. Powered by USB or external ac adapter 3. Plug & Play. Maybe either use a usb3 port or an external power supply as i think it would need more like 1.2 amps not the .5 amps the usb2 port is limited to. 
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 04:05:41 PM »
But how would that explain that it worked fine until last Friday? Did my USB port suddenly lose power? If so, why?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 04:44:25 PM »
Good point :), Have you checked the power settings on the usb ports. You can enable or disable usb selective suspend  . If it still is problematic, then as others have said the drive is faulty. 
― John Bunyan

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 10:15:49 AM »
Also wouldn't explain why the drive contents show in File Explorer but not Media Player...