Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bios password issue  (Read 2678 times)

pfn100

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Bios password issue
    « on: October 04, 2018, 07:33:59 AM »
    Hello,
    My Acer aspire laptop that i have not used in 3 years because of a hard drive failure, i now need to use it again. The trouble is i have forgotten the bios password. It gives me "secure boot failed" when trying to boot from cd. I have windows 10 on usb but it keeps telling me "no boot device found". I have taken out cmos battery for a few days and even replaced it, but still no good. I have installed windows 10 on a new hard drive and then put it into Acer laptop but still get " no boot device found" even though it works in other laptops.
    I am really stuck on this issue and badly need some help.
    Thank you.

Salmon Trout

Re: Bios password issue
    « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 09:37:29 AM »
    Go to an official Acer dealer with written proof of ownership (receipt, sales document, etc) plus some ID proving you are the person named on the sales documents. Otherwise you have a brick.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 03:44:29 PM »
    Are you sure that you actually have a BIOS password set? SecureBoot isn't a BIOS password, it's a system to prevent unauthorised code from running at boot.  What OS are you trying to boot from CD?  Not all OSs support SecureBoot which could lead to that message.  Windows 10 should support it (make sure you are explicitly telling the machine to boot the USB stick, also make sure you pick the "UEFI" entry for the stick from the boot selection menu) however it is usually also possible to disable SecureBoot from within your BIOS setup utility.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 03:54:09 PM »
    He stated there is a BIOS password...he needs to follow Salmons advice above...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 12:41:56 AM »
    I'm with Cameron on this.
    I can't rule out he hasn't also got a BIOS password, but secure boot failed is another issue again.

the BIOS password prompt is quite specific - @pfn100, what is the prompt at boot up where you enter this initial password?

pfn100

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 03:55:18 AM »
      Hello,
      When i try to boot and press f2, enter Bios password comes on the screen. So i tried from cd and secure boot failed comes on screen.
      I did get one hd with windows 10 to work but performance was extremely poor so i decided to try a better hd and since i swapped these over nothing works.
      Thanks.

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 06:06:18 AM »
      if there is a password on the BIOS, you won't get any hard drive or CD option to boot from.
      they don't get initiated until after the BIOS has done its thing and it won't if you don't enter the password.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 08:02:38 AM »
      Laptops are made so that if a BIOS password is set, and you don't know it, it just plain won't boot. There are ways around this sometimes, including unsoldering the BIOS chip and replacing it with a new one, but that can cost much more than the device is worth, and the firms that do it need you to prove you are the owner. If there were easier ways to do it, you wouldn't see them on Computer Hope anyway. About 20 years ago,  a neighbour told me his kids (aged 2 and 4) had managed to alter the BIOS password in his Sony laptop, and did I know any way to reset it? He was a big guy, so I didn't say that his kids must be pretty smart because you need to know the password to change it, and I just gave him the "show proof of ownership to a Sony dealer" method. 6 months later his picture was in the local newspaper when he got 10 years in jail for running a scheme where he paid drug addicts in hard drugs to break into house and cars, or mug people, and bring him mobile phones, tech hardware, etc. The police said his house (near mine) was an "Aladdin's cave" full of plasma TV, PCs, VCRs, DVD players, laptops, etc.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 08:11:51 AM »
      + 1...

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 08:13:13 AM »
      Last time i took in a Toshiba laptop for a Client to the service center they replaced the BIOS chip....$54.00 + tax.