Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrade RAM or CPU?  (Read 1884 times)

westcoastcamaroz28

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Upgrade RAM or CPU?
    « on: October 07, 2018, 09:23:49 PM »
    I am looking to upgrade my computer RAM OR CPU. I run Windows 10 64bit mode and firefox everyday with around 25 PINNED TABS, and around 15-20 actual firefox tabs open all at once.
    If I CTRL-ALT-DEL and look the task manager, with all that open my memory is approx 25-30% used and the CPU can be anywhere from 60-95% used (Really changes live)..

I have (2) ideas:

[RAM UPGRADE]

So I currently have 24 GIGS (1600mhz DDR3) of ram in my PC desktop computer with windows 10

Slot A: 4GB - Kingston khx1600c9d3x2k2/8gx
    Slot B: 8GB - Hyperx hx316c10fb/8
    Slot C: 4GB - Kingston khx1600c9d3x2k2/8gx
    Slot D: 8GB - Hyperx hx316c10fb/8

Now I don't do gaming... I do however have a bunch of firefox windows and tabs, and pins open all the time and it can slow down website browsing to a CRAWL or even taking 10-15 seconds or MORE just for the computer to acknowledge I TYPED something...

I am thinking of swapping the 2x 4GB ram cards for the hyperx hx316c10fb/8 which would be 2X 8 = 16.

OR Upgrade the CPU

[CPU UPGRADE]

I do not know what would be better than the AMD A10 6800K that I have now...

[SYSTEM]

the system I have is this:

CPU: AMD A10 6800K
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUSTEK F2A55-M
    Running Windows 10 in 64bit mode
    RAM: 24GIGS

QUESTIONS:

1. In my case, do you think the RAM should be upgraded or the CPU? Someone pointed out that I might get an increase in speed with the CPU since 24GIGs of ram is fairly high.
    2. If I Upgrade my CPU, what are examples of the BETTER (Looking for FASTER than what my current AMD A10 does) and FASTER?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Upgrade RAM or CPU?
    « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 05:02:55 PM »
    If you want more CPU, I feel you would have to leave the APU and that motherboard for a Socket AM3+ or AM4 motherboard with the AM3+ you can install a FX-8350 4.0Ghz 8-core, and with the AM4 motherboards come the even better Ryzen CPUs. If you break away from AMD and go with Intel the newest generation i7 and i9's are available at a premium but would kick that APU's bottom in performance.

15-20 tabs open at once is almost unheard of. Curious what you have going on that you need that many open at the same time?