Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to get back onboard graphics? Help!  (Read 2545 times)

json31

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    How to get back onboard graphics? Help!
    « on: October 13, 2018, 06:14:04 AM »
    Hello, I changed my CPU from an Intel i3 4160 (2 cores 3.6 GHZ, LGA 1150) to an i5 4570S (4 cores 2.9 GHZ, LGA 1150) hoping to improve the gaming graphics.  Now the onboard INTEL 4400 graphics is missing, vanished, gone.  The graphics driver is now a Microsoft generic,   The board is an ECS H81H3 M4 Haswell  mini ATA with 16 GBytes ddr3 memory.  The BIOS reports that the CPU is missing the hyperthreading function.  That is unrelated to the problem, right?  Can anyone help me get my onboard graphics back?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How to get back onboard graphics? Help!
    « Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 06:33:18 AM »
    That is an APU and not a CPU, so the GPU is on the same Processor package, so your Graphic Driver needs to be upgraded to a Intel HD 4600 from HD 4400 drivers. Specs are in inks below that show the GPU difference in those APU's. So the driver for the Intel HD 4600 needs to be installed as the fix to this.  :) Regarding the Hyperthreading... I have heard of ECS boards reporting wrong about Hyperthreading. I would check the processor when running Windows to see if the Hyperthreading virtual cores are missing or not. ECS is not a quality product and is a quantity for cheap board. Nothing good to say about that brand.

https://ark.intel.com/products/77488/Intel-Core-i3-4160-Processor-3M-Cache-3-60-GHz-

https://ark.intel.com/products/75044/Intel-Core-i5-4570S-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-60-GHz-

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: How to get back onboard graphics? Help!
    « Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 03:43:34 PM »
    The i5 4570S doesn't have hyper-threading, as listed on the ARK page.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.