Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell PowerEdge 900 Harddrives Not Detected  (Read 2511 times)

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    Dell PowerEdge 900 Harddrives Not Detected
    « on: November 10, 2018, 09:36:42 AM »

So I was able to get this unit, to display and configure to setup.  I cleaned the contacts on the drives an fired it back up, now its not wanting to see the drives at all when I attempt to run the install again but, its seeing them in the BIOS

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dell PowerEdge 900 Harddrives Not Detected
    « Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 10:35:51 AM »
    What did you clean the drive contacts with and were you sure that the contacts were dry from this before powering?

Its unusual to have to clean drive contacts... was this a computer dumpster dived for and was out in the weather?

Try a different known good hard drive and see what happens... Try a different SATA cable as well as elimination of drive issue, cable issue, or main board issue.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 01:05:03 PM »
    This server runs SAS drives on a Raid controller . What OS are you loading?
    If the OS doesn't support the raid controller and sas drives you will have to modify the install media to support this.

Also try a  version of Ubuntu or Suse Linux as a test. Checking first what version runs on your Power edge

Here is a link to installing an OS on Dell servers.
    https://www.dell.com/support/article/nz/en/nzbsd1/sln129177/how-to-install-the-operating-system-on-a-dell-poweredge-server-os-deployment-?lang=en
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 02:16:19 PM »
    This server runs SAS drives on a Raid controller

Good Catch Lisa ... I didnt look that far into this hardware because I have seen Bobs prior requests for help to which he dodges answering questions and didnt follow directions from us.

I was expecting to get a response from him like he wiped the hard drive clean by running it through a dish washer.  ::)  ;D

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 03:55:21 PM »
    Dave & Lisa - You're responding to the current incarnation of Squall. He will spin your wheels endlessly if you allow him to. At some point I'll be forced to lock the thread, but in the meanwhile you've been warned ;)

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 05:12:50 PM »
      What did you clean the drive contacts with and were you sure that the contacts were dry from this before powering?

Its unusual to have to clean drive contacts... was this a computer dumpster dived for and was out in the weather?

Try a different known good hard drive and see what happens... Try a different SATA cable as well as elimination of drive issue, cable issue, or main board issue.

Its a contact cleaner called Funk Out, Its been heavily used an has alot of dust build up.  I was considering changing the drives out for bigger ones since, there small drives but, I was wanting the orginal one's for the OS.  It's a slotted fitted board an thus there is no cables. 

This server runs SAS drives on a Raid controller . What OS are you loading?
      If the OS doesn't support the raid controller and sas drives you will have to modify the install media to support this.

Also try a  version of Ubuntu or Suse Linux as a test. Checking first what version runs on your Power edge

Here is a link to installing an OS on Dell servers.
      https://www.dell.com/support/article/nz/en/nzbsd1/sln129177/how-to-install-the-operating-system-on-a-dell-poweredge-server-os-deployment-?lang=en

Trying to reload Server 2008 Data CEnter R2

Good Catch Lisa ... I didnt look that far into this hardware because I have seen Bobs prior requests for help to which he dodges answering questions and didnt follow directions from us.

I was expecting to get a response from him like he wiped the hard drive clean by running it through a dish washer.  ::)  ;D

I did reformat them in attempted to think that it was some how a corruption

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 05:38:48 PM »
      Hi

I can't find the 900 listed as compatible with Server 2008 if it has a cal licence for 2008 it may have been a custom install for the Power Edge 900. Like with the raid controller drivers slip streamed into the install.

Here is a table of requirements for 2008 and what Dell servers work.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln312223/migrating-dell-poweredge-servers-to-microsoft-windows-server-2008?lang=en
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 07:18:39 AM »
        I had no trouble previously, with putting it on though it may of not meet all the requirements.

When I pull up the RAID settings which, it's supposed to use RAID 5 says that the one drive is ready an the other 2 as foreign.  During, the post it says that the Foreign drives are detected

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 04:12:25 PM »
        Hi Bob

Then if the drives are foreign and you are running raid 5 then their is your problem. You need to rebuild the raid including the 2 foreign drives. Once you have the 3 drives configured properly then you will have a complete raid array. The minimum number of disks in a RAID 5 set is three (two for data and one for parity).
        ― John Bunyan

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 09:20:37 PM »
          Hi Bob

Then if the drives are foreign and you are running raid 5 then their is your problem. You need to rebuild the raid including the 2 foreign drives. Once you have the 3 drives configured properly then you will have a complete raid array. The minimum number of disks in a RAID 5 set is three (two for data and one for parity).

I'm not sure how to do that cause, it was setup when I found the Server.  That's how it was setup I imagine

Lisa_maree

Mentor
          • My first real computer
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 10:15:04 PM »
          Hi

I would think the drives were erased . If you have a look here it shows how to set the controller.

https://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/05/dell-tutorial-create-raid-using-perc-6i-integrated-bios-configuration-utility
          ― John Bunyan

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 09:59:26 PM »
            I was able to remake the raid array but, it's only showing around 250 GB single drive to use for the OS