Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how much RAM  (Read 2097 times)

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    how much RAM
    « on: November 17, 2018, 04:42:00 AM »
    i have a  AMD-a8-6600k apu with 1333 mhz ram. to upgrade my system how much more RAM can i put in.
     or 8gb of better RAM.

Salmon Trout

Re: how much RAM
    « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 06:24:10 AM »
    What is motherboard make and model?

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 03:14:18 AM »
        Sorry i should have said.   its' a ASROCK  FM-2A58M

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 03:49:14 AM »
      Maximum RAM appears to be 32 GB. Check manufacturer's RAM compatibility list for suitable RAM products.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A58M-VG3+%20R2.0/#Memory

joeymakesmusic

Greenhorn
        • MIDINation
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 12:55:55 AM »
      Jumping on this thread - I have an i7 laptop with 8GB of RAM. Lately, I've felt that my speed is becoming slow (Windows 10)

Should I upgrade the RAM? There is room for another 8GB module. Would it have a substantial improvement in performance?

On a side note, what's happening to RAM prices? The market was so cheap a few years back but it's now on the up and up
      Checkout my research on musician salaries here: MIDINation

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 01:33:12 PM »
      Slowing down could be that it needs to be rebuilt clean with a clean install. If it has ever been infected with anything of which that stuff even cleaned out it can slow a computer down even after the problems removed. Biggest speed improvement would likely be to upgrade to a SSD from the HDD as for SuperFetch causes all the RAM to get populated with info and the spill over for more memory needed then goes to paging of a SSD or HDD. SSD's can get the data to RAM faster and so you would probably find that 8GB is still plenty of RAM, but an upgrade to a SSD makes a world of difference.

SuperFetch service is suppose to give up memory in use that is flagged as lesser priority and improve performance, however I have seen that in some cases SuperFetch slows computers down and shutting off the SuperFetch service and rebooting the computer makes things better.

Lastly check drive fragmentation if your sticking to a HDD. Fragmented hard drive will slow it down. Additionally make sure that you have at least 10% of the hard drive free as for a hard drive packed with information starts to take a performance hit when they fill up to greater than 90% capacity in use. If you go with a SSD this doesn't apply to capacity affecting performance unless your had drive is completely consumed for space and then paging cant grow into the free space because there is none.