Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New graphics card  (Read 1887 times)

Stuart Mitchelmore

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    New graphics card
    « on: November 24, 2018, 10:52:38 AM »
    Hello Sir/Madam,
    I have just bought a new graphics card to upgrade my PC. I replaced it with my old one and now it won't work. Here is what I did:-
    1. Unplugged computer from the mains
    2. Remove old one taking anti static precautions.
    3. Hoovered out cab and PCIX16 slot.
    4. Inserted new one, taking anti static precautions.
    5. Powered up computer with HDMI cable plugged in and all I'm seeing is the bios screen come up with a few beeps from the PC then the signal drops off and the screen goes blank.
    I have reset the clear CMOS pins as suggested by a friend but still nothing.
    My new graphics card is a Geforce GTX 1050 and there no PCI-E socket for power on the back. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H. It's also PCI  express 3.0 compatible. Can someone help me with my predicament please.
    Thanks, Stu.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: New graphics card
    « Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 11:32:02 AM »
    You used a vacuum on the MBoard ? ?...not a great idea...

However not to freak you out it may be OK...

HDMI will not work til proper drivers are installed so use the VGA or DP port to boot and install them.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

Re: New graphics card
    « Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 12:33:50 PM »
    I use a vacuum cleaner to get dust out of my CPU heatsink. every 6 months or so, BUT the vacuum has power control and it's on the lowest setting, and I very carefully put the nozzle to the heatsink. I hold the fan still with a finger. I use the narrow (crevice) nozzle attachment. You can easily suck jumpers, or even soldered components, off the board, and also the rushing air can cause static damage especially if you live in a dry zone of the world. Also I would check RAM modules are seated firmly. EVERYTHING done with the AC power DISCONNECTED.

Also... is the PSU strong enough?

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:37:31 PM by Salmon Trout »