Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MOTHERBOARD-CPU COMPATABILITY  (Read 2385 times)

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    MOTHERBOARD-CPU COMPATABILITY
    « on: November 26, 2018, 03:22:38 AM »
    as the title say's i am looking for some help. i am building a budget pc ,  no gaming no  overclocking (whatever that means).
    no films or music ,something reliable and reasonably fast .dont want to start altering the Bios,(again dont know how to ).
    so i have picked this m/board  Asrockb450-pro4, and ryzen 3 2200g cpu. what i want know will it work right out of the box .no messing about.

if you can help i would be grateful.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: MOTHERBOARD-CPU COMPATABILITY
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 08:51:26 AM »
    That combination would work. Just a heads up is that the Intel Equivalent of that CPU is a 7th Generation Core i3-7100. But for what your use will be it should be more than plenty of processing power and I would suggest the OS installed to a SSD for maximum performance of it and 8GB RAM minimum.

Article below shows CPU AMD/INTEL comparisons for performance and its listed in the support list at ASROCK. https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450%20Pro4/#Specification

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-3-2200g-review,2.html

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 12:39:47 PM »
    Checking the CPU list for the motherboard https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450%20Pro4/#CPU
    The CPU is listed as compatible and providing you select memory from this list  https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450%20Pro4/index.asp#Memory
    You should have no problems.
    If you are installing a new drive think about getting an M2 drive. They are about the same price as a SATA SSD and reduce the cables needed in the machine as well as making data transfer faster. 
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 01:37:05 PM »
    If you are installing a new drive think about getting an M2 drive. They are about the same price as a SATA SSD and reduce the cables needed in the machine as well as making data transfer faster.
    NVMe SSDs are definitely well worth the money however it's important to bear in mind the difference between M.2 SSDs which can either be NVMe (PCIe) or SATA.  If you want the speed benefit, make sure the M.2 SSD you use is actually NVMe and not just SATA which will perform the same as a traditional 2.5" SATA SSD.

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 01:21:25 AM »

Thanks for all your help. i will definitely look into the m2 drive, never thought about it before.
       but the ssd was going to be my next buy.so you've given me something else to ponder. will keep you posted.

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 11:44:13 PM »

morning to you all. i have priced the ssd and as someone said they are pricey so i have found a Samsung evo 860.250gb
          this is £60 enough for me to pay. hope its' ok.  what i need to know now is.  I have two hdd in my pc (dont ask).
          how can i tell which one as my OS, ON. i can then lose one and make a slot for my ssd.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »
        Thought you were dealing with a new build. Looks like you might be wanting to move Windows to this other new build. This can be done but not really allowed according to the EULA of Windows.

The easiest way to find the OS drive is to look for Windows folder on it, additionally its usually the C: drive letter. Looking at the drive size is one way of knowing which physical drive is the one with the OS on it such as if you have a 250GB HDD and a 500GB HDD and when looking at My Computer at the drives it shows C: drive as 126GB free of 238GB then thats the 250GB HDD. So when opening the computer and looking in you then can see the label on the drive and know that is the drive with Windows on it.

Samsung makes good SSD's and that price seems good for the drive.

If your thinking about installing a SSD and keeping one or both of the HDDs inside the desktop computer, then I would disconnect both or any hard drive that will remain and have only the SSD connected. Install the OS fresh to that SSD. Then with that SSD connected to SATA 0 or SATA 1 connect the other drives to SATA 2, 3 and so on. This should make the SSD the drive that Windows boots from. And if keeping the hard drive installed with the prior Windows build on it you could have an alternate boot option to skip the SSD and boot off of the old build of Windows if ever needed. Sometimes you need to go into the BIOS and select what Hard Drives are in order of boot. Such as I have a Biostar motherboard of which its BIOS shows 2 boot choices. I set Optical Drive as first and then Hard Drive as second. Then in another selection in the BIOS I have to make the list of boot devices for #2 as USB Boot, then my 256GB SSD, and then my 90GB SSD.

I have my old Windows 7 build on my 90GB SSD as an alternate boot, my clean Windows 10 installation to the 256GB SSD, and with the USB as the first on that list the option to boot from USB Sticks.

Lastly to keep the read/writes to a minimum on my 256GB Intel SSD, I pointed Windows 10 to use the 90GB Agility 3 OCZ SSD drive for paging/swap space for virtual memory so that I kill off that 90GB drive before wearing out the memory cells on my Intel 256GB drive since I have 9800 hours of operation on the 90GB SSD with 51TB of writes and 174TB of reads according to crystaldiskinfo which i use to keep an eye on drive wear and a lookout for problems when monthly performing system health inspections and recording drive health. This drive has such a high read/write wear on it because i used it heavily for video processing of large video file projects that were recorded in fraps and then encoded into smaller avi files when i use to record gameplay for our world of warcraft guild runs for people to be able to watch runs they werent able to attend as well as see instant replays and learn from mistakes etc.

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 07:29:52 PM »
            Sorry Dave. seems i gave you the wrong impression. this is not for a new build it is the same one.let me explain.
            i was talking to a friend ,and told him i thought that because the parts where 4years old (or more) i should replace them. and
            he   suggested i just replaced the hdd-with a ssd first. if that worked great  if not i can still go ahead with a full rebuild,
          using the ssd. the reason i am doing it this way is ,the case is still good as is the power supply (new) and if this works i wont have to buy more memory.i have 12 GB  of ddr3 already.
          initially it was running slow and jerky some day quite good some days not so good. and i couldn't' get more speed out of my supplier so i thought build my own .but this way can hopefully save me money. so that is where i am now.
          please dont think i am trying to mislead you ,i am not. if this all makes sense to you ,lets carry on .if not tell me what,
           i should do  for the best. i value your help ,and dont' want to lose it.

Frank.

camerongray

Expert
            • Yes
            • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
          « Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 03:12:22 AM »
          What are the specs of the current machine?  If it's 4 years old the M.2 SSD suggestion above would likely be incompatible so you'd be limited to a regular 2.5" SATA one.

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 08:35:27 AM »
            i have bought the Crucial mx 500,hope this will do.it is compatible with my board.  see what you think

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              « Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 02:39:34 AM »
              I have used Macrium Reflect to clone the ssd.and it seems to have worked OK. i will try that for now. i will wait until the new year,
              see if the prices come down before buying the motherboard/ and cpu.
               Thanks for all your help ,as always you have been great.

you all have a great Christmas.