Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 Backup  (Read 4075 times)

jackmarison93

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows 10 Backup
    « on: November 27, 2018, 09:46:20 PM »
    Recently, I took the offer of the free Windows 10 download to replace Windows 7 that was installed on my computer. Before, I had Windows 7 installed and in two partitions. This was very useful as I always had the option of system restore for any issues (And believe me, for almost every issue that I have had with my computer, and the countless postings on forums, nearly every issued had to be resolved with a system restore. It's a lot of hassle, but it works: you can always try to find out if there is another way).

Now, I don't know if I have a second partition and if I do, is it Windows 10? I may have nothing or Windows 7 on the hidden partition.

I have an option in settings where I can do a reset. This sounds ok, but if it requires an internet connection, it could be totally useless. My last problem was a corrupted network connection driver, so I would be lost in that situation, and I'm sure you've guessed how I solved that one: system restore!

The backup option in settings advises that I can use my Windows 7 backup disc: ok, but then I'll have Windows 7 back on my computer, and will I have the option of reinstalling Windows 10 for free, or will I have to pay for it?

My recovery disc burner software offers to copy my hidden disc. This would be fine if; 1) There is one. 2. It's Windows 10.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 10 Backup
    « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 09:55:57 AM »
    jackmarison93,
    Sorry to say, but you no longer have Windows 7. I suspect.  :(
    If you want Windows 7, you will have to install it again.

However, Here is a Bing search:

Get back Windows 7 after installing Windows 10.

Maybe that might apply in your case, I am not sure.  :-\

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 10:10:37 AM »
    My suggestion to to go forward with having Windows 10 installation media available to you in case of system problems. Have your key available if you know it. Upgrading from 7 to 10 means the Windows 7 key should associate with 10's activation. Some systems even have the key located in the BIOS. https://superuser.com/questions/1095980/is-the-windows-10-product-key-in-bios

However since your system was originally 7 its likely to be on a key affixed to the computer. If you dont know this key then there is no way to activate Windows 10 without buying a key.

Have all your important data backed up on external drives or a cloud storage so that if your system ever gets messed up. No worries just disconnect all external drives and install Windows 10 clean again to the system and perform updates and then reconnect your external drive or connect to the cloud to access your data.

Note: If the prior build got messed up because of malware or a virus, be sure to first install antimalware software or antivirus to system before connecting the external hard drive or downloading your data from the cloud to avoid reinfection.

For my systems I have implemented a data plan that no longer has critical data stored on each of my computers. I can blow them away and reinstall clean without worries of lost data.

Only data to be lost would be favorites for browser etc, but I have a custom HTML page that I have created with list of sites that i want quick access to and that is saved offsite as well as to external media.

My e-mail is through Mozilla Thunderbird and I have my profile for this also backed up to where I can reinstall Thunderbird e-mail software and then close out of the installation when complete and place my profile back into the appdata Local and Roaming folders and then launch Thunderbird and have my e-mail back up and running quickly without having to manually configure it all over again which is a pain.

Lastly Microsoft has the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool that I would suggest using for making an up to date Windows 10 installation media. A 16GB or larger USB stick can be used to install the Windows 10 ISO to and when your in trouble simply boot off the USB stick and select 32 or 64 bit Windows which should be 64-bit for your computer since you likely have a 64-bit CPU or APU and 4GB RAM or greater. For lesser than 4GB RAM you would get better performance out of the 32-bit version. As Microsoft updates the Windows 10 build, they update the downloadable ISO and so you could either use an older Windows 10 build and then patch it forward or occasionally check what version 10 is at and update the Windows 10 installation media to be that version on a USB stick without the cost of burning DVDs. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Note: Be sure nothing important is on the USB stick that you use as for it will erase all data from it when creating the Windows 10 Installation USB media.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 10:15:49 AM »
    From My Computer right clik the HDD select Properties....
    That'll tell if you have a Win 7 and 10 partition....

Regardless of the upgrade your hidden recovery partition will always be whatever the PC shipped with...

As to your backup software and choices we need more info on what exactly it is...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "