Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can we talk about Climate Change?  (Read 12079 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Can we talk about Climate Change?
« on: November 28, 2018, 02:14:03 PM »
Can we? It is very controversial.
Moderator, if not please lock  or delete this post.   8)
Most relevant ink now:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/climate-scientist-katharine-hayhoe-accuses-cnn-of-bumping-her-expertise-for-rick-santorum?via=desktop&source=Reddit

Katharine Hayhoe, a climate scientist and co-author of the recently released U.S. National Climate Assessment, was supposed to be Anderson Cooper’s guest during CNN’s primetime broadcast Tuesday night.

She even pre-taped the appearance for AC360, but when the live show aired, it was nowhere to be seen.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Can we talk about Climate Change?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 02:44:26 PM »
Why do you do this over and over ? ?...just curious.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 06:44:35 PM »
Why do you do this over and over ? ?...just curious.
When? I am having memory loss.   :-[

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 08:48:34 AM »
You bring up news items...but cite some of the worst sources in the World...

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 11:40:39 AM »
My interest is the content, not the web site.
Some news stories  are of concern to people who also like computers.
The content of that story was about what a significant scientist had to say about a current topic.
The comments are traced to come Katharine Hayhoe, a climate scientist and co-author of the recently released U.S. National Climate Assessment.
Here own web site:
http://katharinehayhoe.com/wp2016/

Patio,do you say she is among  'some of the worst sources in the World?

Here is information about  the company she is with:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Climate_Assessment
The First National Climate Assessment was published in 2000.[5][Notes 1] Between 2002 and 2009, USGCRP previously known as the U.S. Climate Change Science Program (CCSP), produced twenty-one Synthesis and Assessment Products (SAPs).[6] The second NCA was published in 2009[6] and the third was released in 2014.[7]
NCA's overarching goal according to their May 20, 2011 engagement strategy summary, "is to enhance the ability of the U.S. to anticipate, mitigate, and adapt to changes in the global environment (NCA 2011:2)."[8]

Katharine Hayhoe, made a critical remark about how an interview  she did was not aired by a major media outlet. Here remarks were picked up b a source you do not like. Google, not me, pulled up the article in that trash rag. Like I said, the content is more important the the relay point.

Back to the topic. Are we allowed to talk about controversial news subjects that have a profound impact on our future?  Or is the forum dedicated to the idea oft speaking only about CPUs and RAM and ignoring the verifiable facts that soon we will not have any useful computers at all.  Without infrastructure, computers will no longer be valuable. Except for playing a game by yourself.

I think readers of this forum are people who understand howto evaluate data and draw rational conclusions about the value of climate research.
But I am often wrong. :(

Just posted on CNN:
https://www.salon.com/2018/11/29/author-of-report-on-global-warming-calls-out-cnn-for-bumping-her-for-climate-denier-rick-santorum/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 11:52:12 AM by Geek-9pm »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »
I'd say it's only controversial inside the U.S.
and ignoring the verifiable facts that soon we will not have any useful computers at all.  Without infrastructure, computers will no longer be valuable.

This sort of hyperbolic doomsaying is the reason why there are so many "climate skeptics" and deniers regarding anthropogenic climate change, because people frequently make these sorts of statements and it takes incredibly cursory research to determine that it is altogether a lie. Is "Soon we will not have any useful computers at all" really a verifiable fact? verified by what? time travel? No. It's not. It's counter-productive doomsaying.

It's like the folks talking about a "point of no return" where Earth will become Venus, which is absolute poppycock too. The greenhouse gases we are adding to the atmosphere were previously part of the atmosphere 65 million years ago. The issue is that those sorts of ridiculously over-the-top claims mean that people will look into them, find out they are BS, and then dismiss the entire concept altogether.

The change in climate from our *reintroduction* of CO2 into the atmosphere will *not* make the planet altogether uninhabitable to life or some sort of venusian wasteland; the concerns are far more real than that. As I said, we are *reintroducing* CO2 to the atmosphere; remember that Fossil fuels are largely from plants which got their CO2 from the atmosphere of the time. The problem is effectively that whereas the climate change from those tropical high temperatures with high CO2 to the modern day occurred over perhaps hundreds of millions of years and therefore evolution by natural selection was capable of allowing life to adapt, the much faster rate of change we are seeing through our reintroduction is far too fast for adaptations, which is expected to result in a mass extinction event, which will change ecosystems in completely unpredictable ways- Only a relatively small subset of current life will find itself suitable for the changing environment.

The affected Human factors largely involve arable land distribution and changes to our underlying agricultural infrastructure. Human migration will be economic migration, not one based directly on regional temperatures. For example people might emigrate from Central America not because they find it too hot, but because they cannot find jobs there because the economy which relied on agriculture has collapsed due to the crops they rely on no longer being arable in their region. That emigration will have an impact on the economies of developed countries as well regardless of what impact climate change will have on the climate of those countries. How, or whether, any of this will affect high tech industries remains to be seen.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 02:51:55 PM »
Any Human...scientist or not...degreed or not who think we can destroy the planet is extremely naive'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0aFPXr4n4

Should actually be taken literally...

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 04:56:20 PM »
Thank you both for your replies. But that does not mean I agree.  ;D

Somebody said the official report was an extreme scenario.
Speaking about extreme scenarios...
Which of these are extreme, moderate or careless?
1. Wait for more data before making changes.
2.  Attempt to create trouble to prove a point.
3. Use propaganda to influence people to come to your side.
4. Simply do nothing, neither for or against what anybody says.
5. Just pay attention to the most clever arguments.
6. It is impossible to foretell the future to any large degree.

If you like the #4, just do not replay to this.  ::)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 06:04:30 PM »
Somebody said the official report was an extreme scenario.
Who? **I** never said anything about any official report. The "Extreme scenario"- where Earth becomes some kind of post-apocalyptic, lifeless desert wasteland or ends up with a Venusian runaway greenhouse effect, (And apparently that there will be no computers soon, according to "verified facts" (What facts? who verified them?) are not just "extreme scenarios" they are fabricated nonsense with no supporting evidence at all.

The problem is not that this means the entire aspect can be dismissed. It is a VERY REAL problem. The irony is that going around talking about these fabricated doomsday scenarios does the entire movement and effort a great, massive disservice- perhaps even greater than any corporate interest working against it, because it's trivially easy to find aspects that are straight-up lies. At that point people may rightly wonder what other aspects they were lied to about, and thereby are more likely to adopt a "wait and see" attitude than listen to any call to action.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 07:59:31 PM »
BC, I did not mean you.
That somebody is a spokesman for the White House.  >:(
https://thebl.com/politics/white-house-says-dire-climate-report-based-on-extreme-scenario.html
The Trump administration is downplaying the significance of a report issued Friday that included dire predictions about the impact of climate change in the U.S. The White House said the study was largely based on “the most extreme scenario” and doesn’t account for new technology and other innovations that could diminish carbon emissions and the effects of climate change.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 09:32:14 PM »
OK, apologies for the misunderstanding. You have a tendency to respond to other posts in a third person style though.

I agree then- the predictions made therein were certainly no extreme case like those I described- they were actually rather conservative.

The dismissal is pretty silly because it's not really denying that climate change is occuring but is basically assuming somebody else will fix it, which is partly the attitude that got us here to begin with.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 02:39:06 AM »
BC, right on. I agree will what you just said.  :)