Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: strange things are happening  (Read 2298 times)

kastawaymanagement

strange things are happening
« on: January 02, 2006, 10:00:00 PM »
i just built a new system and it will not post the mainboard is brand new and i am using the intergrated video card. Also, the cd rom and the hard drives work fine until you hook up the ide ribbons then they wont spin does anyone have a solution.  

my motherboard is a msi and i have a p4 1.6 ghz processor [smiley=huh.gif]

royphil345

Re: strange things are happening
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 10:11:17 PM »
Make sure the ribbons are connected properly and jumpers on the rear of the drives are set correctly. Long side of cable to mainboard, #1 pin marking on mainboard matching the red stripe on the cable. Red stripe on the cable facing the power connectors on the CD and hard drive. End connector master, middle connector slave (jumpers on drives set accordingly).

Some BIOS require that you go into the drive setup section and hit a button for the drives to be automatically detected.

Any messages on the screen or beep codes when you start the computer?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 06:11:27 AM by royphil345 »

J0K3R

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 10:41:20 PM »
What power supply are you using and which msi motherboard
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 10:42:17 PM by J0K3R »

SomeDude

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 10:28:37 AM »
Make sure your HDD's is hooked to the Primary IDE, and the CD to secondary, some mobo's are picky about that one. and what do you expect to do with 1.6ghz? my dad has a 2.6 celeron D and cant do much, so if your for gaming i would advise atleast a 3.0.