Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Seagate 250 GB hard drive functions VERY slowly  (Read 3201 times)

dan eadfg

Seagate 250 GB hard drive functions VERY slowly
« on: December 13, 2005, 06:20:56 PM »
I just recently purchased a Seagate 250 GB internal hard drive (8mb/s, 7200 rpm) and installed it as a slave to my main hard drive.  Windows recognizes it fine, but the problem is that whenever I try to access the drive (add/remove files, run defragmenter, etc.) my entire computer practically freezes up and runs very slowly until i cancel the process.  Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Seagate 250 GB hard drive functions VERY slowl
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 08:20:20 PM »
Are you comfortable getting into the BIOS ? ?
If so on your next boot enter the BIOS and check that the new disk is using UDMA. It might have defaulted to PIO mode due to Windows errors which is really slow.
What do you have stored on this drive and how did you prep it before installing ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mac

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 12:36:39 PM »
I just recently purchased a Seagate 250 GB internal hard drive (8mb/s, 7200 rpm) and installed it as a slave to my main hard drive.  Windows recognizes it fine, but the problem is that whenever I try to access the drive (add/remove files, run defragmenter, etc.) my entire computer practically freezes up and runs very slowly until i cancel the process.  Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

How is this drive formatted?

uisquebeathus

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 05:07:12 AM »
Got into Control Panel /System/Hardware/ device manager/then hard drive controller and enable udma for each controller.
Again how did you format it and what format type is the drive using FAT32 or NTFS, and how much data is on the drive

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 11:02:51 AM »
Also it is sometimes overlooked but double check the jumper settings on the master...sometimes they are installed in a new machine with the jumper in the "park" position because this is the only HDD.
It should be master w/slave present or master.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

danstin013

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 01:51:52 AM »
Got into Control Panel /System/Hardware/ device manager/then hard drive controller and enable udma for each controller.
Again how did you format it and what format type is the drive using FAT32 or NTFS, and how much data is on the drive

in the device manager there is no box or option that i see for enabling UDMA -- i feel like ive searched everywhere .  my roommate bought a similar seagate hard drive and his came with an installation cd, mine didnt -- so i used his and installed the drivers for the hard drive and then connected the hard drive.  everything seemed to go smoothly, the hard drive was easily recognized after the software was put on the computer.  the drive is 250 GB, and theres nothing on it ---- I don't know much else about the format type etc.   also i looked into the bios and didnt see a whole lot of options / settings relating to my hard drive.   any other ideas????

danstin013

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 01:52:36 AM »
this is dan eadfg, i just had to make a new name  :P

Dell4700

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 12:44:36 PM »
You seem to have a problem with your initial setup.  You say your friend has a similar drive?  If his drive is not exactly the same model and type, you may have loaded either the wrong drivers or your setup may be wrong.

Note that 250 GB Seagate is not enough information to be exact.  There are several types (SATA, ATA, Ultra ATA, etc.).  A list of seagate drives and their technical specs are here:  http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/guide/   As you can see, performance, configuration and even cables may be different.  Determine the model and type drive you have and compare it to your friend's drive.  Are they the same?  If not, remove/uninstall your drive and install the correct drivers.  This is a good idea regardless.

Installation wizards, drivers and other tools are available for free download from the Seagate Support Site here:  http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/utils.html

Copy/backup any files or information you want to save before you reinstall.

You will need the info above and your operating system.

If you have any trouble with the procedures or need further help, let us know.

Dell