Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Downloaded PUP software! Should I format the hard drive?  (Read 4067 times)

Alternative Solution

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Familiar
    Downloaded PUP software! Should I format the hard drive?
    « on: November 29, 2018, 02:03:37 PM »
    I just got a new windows 10 computer, and wanted to make sure I updated all the drivers, so I got some freeware that would do it all for me.  It had good reviews on Cnet, so I went ahead and downloaded it. 

I ran Malwarebytes, and it identified this program as a PUP. I quaranteened all the alerts.  I then did the scan again and it found a couple more.  At this point I just decided to reset windows, getting rid of all my apps and files.

The reset gives you the option to also format the harddrive, but I wasn't sure what this would do-- if it would get rid of windows on the machine altogether, or if I'd lose any software that came with the computer.

So I elected to not format the drive.  I reinstalled windows after the reset, installed Avast and Malwarebytes, and they found no issues (except Avast did find a network issue, strangely, but didn't tell me what it was; just said it was now resolved). 

What should I do? Is it worth formatting the drive for a PUP issue? If I do, will I be able to get Windows 10 Pro back?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Downloaded PUP software! Should I format the hard drive?
    « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 02:22:07 PM »
    Pup's are relatively harmless...think of cookies on steroids...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Downloaded PUP software! Should I format the hard drive?
    « Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 03:36:38 PM »
    PUP = Potentially Unwanted Program. They are programs that are sometimes installed by other programs without user consent, and are typically (not always) of questionable quality or integrity.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.