Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Puppy is causing static electricity and flickering on desk top  (Read 3061 times)

deeindiana

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Puppy is causing static electricity and flickering on desk top
    « on: December 03, 2018, 05:29:36 PM »
    I need suggestions of how to reduce the static electricity in my home graphic arts studio. We have a fluffy new puppy and with the dry winter weather all he has to do is rub against my leg while I'm working at my desk and there's a static electricity shock -- which causes my lighted keyboard to flicker and the computer to musically "trill". I've bought a room-size humidifier and run it all the time but it's not helping. Would an anti-static PVC chair mat over the carpeting solve the problem?
    Suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm worried he's going to "zap" my system!
    Thanks

Accessless

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Puppy is causing static electricity and flickering on desk top
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 07:38:41 PM »
    This sounds more like an electrical fault rather than a fluffy static causing pet. A static discharge from your pet into say the computer tower should just discharge straight to earth without affecting any of the hardware itself.

That's not to say that your pet can't build up a charge off the carpet and shock you but it should have no affect on your PC.

Is it only whilst using the PC you receive shocks or whilst touching other electricals as well?

(Assuming that you are from the US are you using a cable and socket with an earth?) [3 pin]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 12:50:01 AM »
    It is not an an electrical fault.
    It is static electricity.The anti-static PVC chair mat my help.
    Look here:
    An anti-static floor mat or ground mat is an anti-static device that safeguards an individual or piece of equipment like a PC from an electrostatic discharge (ESD). Computer components that are sensitive to static electricity or ESD are motherboards, CPUs, expansion cards and memory devices.

A static discharge to a keyboard can start your PC or laptop.

deeindiana

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 03:38:06 PM »
      Accessless it happens to the computer when I bend over to pet the pup or when he brushes against my chair or the tower. But I also get static electric shocks when he's rolling around on the carpet and I pet him, or when I touch the light switch - so I really feel it's static. Yes, I'm in the US and my computer plug has a "ground" prong.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 11:41:00 PM »
      Let's makes this clear. Even with proper wiring in the house, electrostatic discharges still happen. In fact, there is no correlation. Nada. Zip.
      The principal cause of static is some materials used in carpets  and  materials in clothing and footwear. This is about common static problems in your home.
      Here is a general recommendation:
      https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Static-Electricity

I assume you are in a place where large machines and not running.  In a factory or place with large mechanical things moving round static buildup can be a real problem. One example is a grain elevator.
      https://www.pca.state.mn.us/quick-links/grain-elevators-feed-mills-and-fertilizer-mixing-plants
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAZ7gmERxMI

Other industries have similar issues.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_electricity
      Dust clouds of finely powdered substances can become combustible or explosive. When there is a static discharge in a dust or vapor cloud, explosions have occurred. Among the major industrial incidents that have occurred are: a grain silo in southwest France, a paint plant in Thailand, a factory making fiberglass moldings in Canada, a storage tank explosion in Glenpool, Oklahoma in 2003, and a portable tank filling operation and a tank farm in Des Moines, Iowa and Valley Center, Kansas in 2007.[12][13][14]

You can change the kind of shampoo you use on you pert.
      https://www.angieslist.com/articles/reducing-static-electricity-your-pet-s-coat.htm
      Other pet grooming changes you can make

• Bathing. You can add moisture to your pet’s coat by bathing them with a shampoo and conditioner that moisturize pet hair. Products containing oatmeal and aloe vera are excellent natural moisturizers.
      • Bedding. If your pet sleeps on a fleece blanket, trade that out for a different fabric. Fleece is notorious for building up static electricity.
      • Grooming. Special ionic brushes create positive ions when used and combat static electricity.
      Does that help?  :)
      « Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:52:19 PM by Geek-9pm »

Accessless

Adviser
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 07:46:24 PM »
      It is not an an electrical fault.
      It is static electricity.The anti-static PVC chair mat my help.
      Look here:
      A static discharge to a keyboard can start your PC or laptop.

Accessless it happens to the computer when I bend over to pet the pup or when he brushes against my chair or the tower. But I also get static electric shocks when he's rolling around on the carpet and I pet him, or when I touch the light switch - so I really feel it's static. Yes, I'm in the US and my computer plug has a "ground" prong.

From what deeindiana said I agree not an electrical fault. But given most peoples poor understanding of electricity (no offence intended), I would rather have erred on the side of caution and asked some questions. Though my choice of wording at the time was poor, it should have read: "This may be an electrical fault...".

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 09:15:53 PM »
      Bother things are electricity. Here is a general article bout how they differ.
      https://www.livescience.com/4077-shocking-truth-static-electricity.html
      The shock caused by static electricity reveals how you can have more power at your fingertips than you ever imagined.
      Static electricity builds when electrons leap between two objects that have opposing electrical charges. A stunning handshake occurs when one person has a negative charge, and the other doesn't.
      Normal electricity in our home or business can only pass through metal wires. Sparking happens when there is direct contact or the voltage gets above 600 volts Static electricity is often above 10,000 volts and ionizes the . The hot spark can start fires if combustible material is preset.       
      Often a static discharge does not do harm. Still, it can be dangerous.

deeindiana

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 01:31:02 PM »
        Thanks for these great suggestions. While I already do several of them (humidifier, moisture pet shampoo, etc) I'm going to try the static carpet spray and the chair mat. I appreciate everyone's advice.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 01:53:11 PM »
        You might want to get one of those Outlet Testers to make sure your outlet that the computer is plugged into is grounded, then test all others in home as well while at it. If you have a newer outlet in an old home without the outlet itself grounded because the wiring is 50 years old or older and not grounded then static electricity will take alternate routes to ground rather than to a ground connection. Electricity takes the path of least resistance. Normally it is the ground wiring in your home if it has it. However if your plugged into a 2 prong outlet without a ground connection then your running everything off that outlet on what is known as a Floating Ground. Floating Grounds are BAD!!! Dangerous to both the person using the equipment if the HOT leg somehow shorts to chassis ground of a metal box etc, as well as it means that static electricity discharge paths are unpredictable which means destroyed electronics if a chip gets fried from a high voltage spike.

If the location of the discharge is the dog brushing across the face of the computer the junction of the discharge could be the soft power switch which would simulate someone tapping the power button.

Personally i would relocate the computer to top of desk or locate it in a area that is safe for operation and dog wont be in close proximity within 1/2 inch of the computer and then the problem should go away. But also it would be good to have your outlets tested in your home to make sure they are wired correctly and grounded or not.

I have one of these testers and it has pointed out problems for me before. I bought a home in 2014 and found outlets that had HOT and Neutral Backwards. Traced this back to a junction box in the basement that had the black and white wires swapped.  ::) Also found outlets in my bedroom weren't grounded yet they had newer 3 prong outlets. My home was built in 1947 and I had to correct some electrical issues from someone in the past that knew enough to be dangerous at home wiring.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Gear-3-Wire-Receptacle-Tester-50542/206212329?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD27E%7C27-11_TOOLS_%26_ACCESSORIES%7CNA%7CPLA%7c71700000034238984%7c58700003943782712%7c92700031954542185&gclid=CjwKCAiA9K3gBRA4EiwACEhFe37DBhiZg6BwfUGRorAHBWeIJBk0mgVeVRnK_jYDvx6P9uIxaSng4xoCTmoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 03:13:15 PM »
        some after thoughts.
        In the USA, three wire plugs are required in new homes.  Yest many small apliances have only the two prong cords.

Which can plug into the three prong wall thing or the two prong model.

This is legal. But I don't know why.  :-\

Nevertheless, static electricity can still be and issue in some cases.
        Many article son the subject suggest the grounding and bonding is all you have to do.
        Notice this:
        Static electricity can be generated by a number of environmental causes. Producing static electricity is common when using a treadmill due to the friction created by repetitive motion. A treadmill placed directly on non-treated carpet may be more susceptible to static electricity. Dry, dusty environments can magnify the presence and intensity of static electricity. Treadmills that are not cleaned regularly can suffer from a buildup of dirt, increasing your risk of being shocked.
        Source:
        https://www.livestrong.com/article/391920-why-is-my-treadmill-shocking-me/

Ask your dog is it is using a treadmill. ::)