Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Remove program dependency to a server  (Read 2486 times)

cooka16

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Remove program dependency to a server
    « on: December 10, 2018, 07:32:46 AM »
    Hello  everyone.

Let say a program is on a server with user account z:\"name of user" you log in you have programs files whatever. And you copied the program files to another computer and its not opening because its telling you to be logging in to the account on the server like it seems to be dependent from the server and you can only access the program on that server. I should probably mention that the program has extension such as ".mde" and  ".md" which uses Microsoft access to open.

So my question is how to make it independent from the user on the server. Thank for your help.
    « Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 07:52:46 AM by cooka16 »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Remove program dependency to a server
    « Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 02:32:31 PM »
    Why you need to do this is not clear.
     Are you wanting to  defeat  a copyright restructure?

EDIT:
    Here is some additional information that might be of some help. However, this is not a direct answer to your question.
    Programs that have server dependencies might be up to general types. The first is a program that actually consists of a script written in some language such as P HP. The second is a program written in native code that uses the operating system of the remote server.

Furthermore, there is the issue of copyright protection. In the case of a program that you purchased you may have an option to run the program on your computer if the creator of the program has such a provision and if you qualify. Consider the case of where the program is either free or otherwise made available without cost or commercial consideration. Such programs are often modified and distributed in different forms and such program sometimes I made available to run on a PC without the use of the server.

So the key question here is whether or not you bought the program and whether or not the program is a free program that others can modify and distribute in different forms. Can you contact the program ceator?

In my own personal experience there is a server program that I often use without logging into the server. That is because I have a special program that emulates a server for the PHP script language. However, it is very specific and only applies directly to the specific software package that is available free from the vendor.

I just though of another possibility. If you are a developer, and your developing your own program that has a server dependency, your development tools should have some provision to where you can test your program on your local computer without the need of an Internet connection to a server. This depends specifically on what is that appellant package you are using, if that applies to you.

Without more details about what you're trying to do, this is the best I can say for now.  :)
    « Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:50:58 PM by Geek-9pm »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 03:05:33 PM »
    I doubt it's his server...just sayin.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

cooka16

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 01:36:50 PM »
      No its not my server. Its a program on uni server. I wanted to take it so I opened files location and copied the files. Its build for personal use and has an extension of .mde there is no installer and such thing is a regular mde database. When I try to open the program on my pc I get a message like this "make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server...". I asked my instructor ( owner of the program ) how to properly take it from server he said he doesn't know about pc stuff a friend did it for him. So I was wondering how can a program only open on his user account on uni server. I don't know what privacy settings made this that's I've decided to ask about the issue.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 01:44:43 PM »
      You can't copy programs and files and expect them to work...the app needs installed.
      Thats why also you are getting the path error....

cooka16

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 05:29:46 AM »
        You can't copy programs and files and expect them to work...the app needs installed.
        Thats why also you are getting the path error....

Its not a program to be installed . Its just a database mde built in microsoft access. It doesnt give me installation error cause its doesn't need to be installed its showing a different error related to the user and the server I mentioned the error before. That's my problem its how to open it outside the user account as it seems to be link to some specific user list.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 05:41:35 AM »
        Then ask the instructer