Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to add and check the old harddrive, if it works in my pc  (Read 1869 times)

cheseco123

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    How to add and check the old harddrive, if it works in my pc
    « on: December 17, 2018, 09:37:26 AM »
    Hi , there I'm Jones.

i have a old hard drive and could not check if it is working now. Can i remove the sata cable and power cable of cd drive and connect it test it as secondary storage device. Will it work? I am asking this because, if i connect by error, the entire system would get damaged. Does the two power connections  carry equal power to test? I am having a hard drive at present and i want to check by connecting it as a storage drive.
    My another concern is , if it also tries to boot, how to know, which drive is booting? The question on the face value would be like a dummy query. But i do not want to risk to try without knowing.experts please

Thank in advance.
    « Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 04:42:39 PM by patio »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How to add and check the old harddrive, if it works in my pc
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 01:19:53 PM »
    Best thing to do is connect the drive to system connected to the highest SATA number on the main board so if you have 4 SATA connections and they are marked as SATA 0,1,2,3 connect the drive in question to SATA 3 and have your drive with the OS connected to SATA 0 or SATA 1. If you only have two SATA connections connect the systems hard drive to SATA 0 and the drive in question to SATA 1.

The power connection is rated for any SATA type drive no matter hard drive, solid state drive, or DVD or CD ROM drive.

Only danger of connecting drive to your computer would be if the drive has a virus on it and its the type that can spread to the working system drive, but if you have an up to date antivirus running on your system you should be fine.

You will want to test the drive with CrystalDiskInfo which will tell you if the drive is healthy or not according to S.M.A.R.T data on the drive.

Other option is buy an external hard drive case  empty and install the SATA drive to it and connect that way, or get a SATA /USB Dock to connect that way. But the free method is if you can connect it internal vs buying external enclosure for it.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 03:46:09 PM »
    Hi , there I'm Jones. [ url=https://**************.wordpress.com/2018/12/17/ [ bunch of hex codes ] [ some hidden 1 pt size text in some Asian language(SEO?)  ] [ /url ]

i have a old hard drive...

Jones or Cheseco? Make up your mind. Why is there a spam link hidden in your question? Did you copy the question to make your post seem genuine?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 04:43:16 PM »
    Dummy link removed...don't do it again.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "