Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question about robocopy  (Read 2618 times)

abrayshaw

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Question about robocopy
    « on: December 19, 2018, 08:09:59 AM »
    I have used the RoboCopy command to selectively back up entire folders from my computer to a network server. Since I want to copy the entire folder, and purge any files I've deleted since the last use, I employ the /MIR switch. For example, I wrote a batch file to copy everything in my computer's Pictures folder to a folder on the server using "robocopy e:\userdata\pictures \\clearsoftnas\photo /mir" (quotes not included). Works like a charm.
    However (and here's the question), I just set up  a new computer for my wife's use and decided to create a batch file to back up her Documents folder to a folder on the server. The RoboCopy command is "robocopy c:\users\wendy\documents \\clearsoftnas\wendydocs /mir" (again, without the quotes). When I watch the output of the RoboCopy as it's performing the copy, I notice it's trying to copy the folders c:\users\wendy\my pictures c:\users\wendy\my music c:\users\wendy\my videos and c:\users\wendy\my ebooks even though there are no such folders contained in the Documents folder that's being mirrored. It's as if RoboCopy is trying to include the "standard" user folders (that are referred to with the "My" prefix) even though they're not present in the specified source folder.
    Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Thanks!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Question about robocopy
    « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 09:31:19 AM »
    They are default Win Folders...if they are empty...no worries.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "