Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is the BANNANA driver for MS-DOS?  (Read 14452 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
What is the BANNANA driver for MS-DOS?
« on: December 21, 2018, 09:25:50 PM »
Ignore this post unless you like to explore old obsolete mysteries.
Today I downloaded a copy of the ISO for MS-DOS 6.22 and put it on a CD.
It works fine, except for the message:
device driver not found Banana
Searching the internet I found this on CH:
https://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=11893.0
Look in reply #2.

This same thing was found on other sites. As I recall, there never was a device driver named Banana in any MS-DOS I had used. But have you ever found it?

Like I said, this is not important. It just has me baffled. Why would anybody have named a device driver Banana  anyway.  :P

Mire links:     (|  (|
https://www.wmlcloud.com/windows/problem-device-driver-not-found-banana/
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21748256-How-to-make-DOS-boot-disk-on-CD
http://www.prc68.com/I/PSG9.shtml
In the above find the word   'BANANA'  half way down the page.

Did that come from Microsoft? Comments?   ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: What is the BANNANA driver for MS-DOS?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 09:55:16 PM »
The error comes from MSCDEX. With MSCDEX, you have to specify a name for the previously loaded Driver software; with the driver software, you also specify a name. eg.

config.sys
Code: [Select]
device=oakcdrom.sys /D:BANANA
and then in autoexec (or at the prompt)

Code: [Select]
mscdex /D:BANANA /L:E

if the config.sys driver fails to load- for example if it cannot find the Optical drive - then when mscdex attempts to interface with that driver, it will fail and give a message that it cannot find the specified driver.

As for where the proliferation of BANANA as the device name comes from- I can't really pin it down. I seem to recall seeing it used for the optical drive driver on the Windows 98 SE Bootable CD and likely the Emergency Boot Disk that was provided as well, so that may be where it originated.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 11:20:05 PM »
Yhank you BC,
Now it's coming back to me now.
There has to be a CONFIG file that has stuff needed before the AUTO EXEC starts.
Whoever made the ISO files found in the All Boot Disks library did not provide the documentation needed. Or else a file was deleted without an explanation.

AllBootDisks ISO Image Downloads

These ISO CD-ROM images have been created to allow you to boot your computer from a CD for the purpose of repairing various issues.
The CD images are an exact copy of the boot diskette images. There is no advantage to using these ISO images over a diskette image. Some newer computers do not have a floppy drive installed, so these images allow for compatibility of newer machines.
These ISO images DO NOT contain any Microsoft operating system. You can not use these images to install Windows; they are for repair purposes only.
There are no ISOs for Windows NT, 2000, XP or Vista. If you need to boot from a CD to repair your Windows NT, 2000, XP or Vista computer, please use the original Windows installation CD, which is bootable.
To use this file, download it to your Desktop. Use a CD-burning program (Nero, Easy Media Creator) to burn this CD Image to a CD-R/CD-RW. Once the image has finished burning, turn on the computer you want booted and insert the CD into the CD-ROM drive. If the computer does not boot from the CD, restart and check your BIOS settings to ensure that the CD-ROM drive is listed before the hard disk in the boot order. For assistance with this, see the documentation from your computer manufacturer.
Another source confirms that the images do not contain the needed files to make the CD bookable. A program like Rufus takes care of that detail.

They claim there is a CONFIG file in the ISO, but I don't see it.

So then, the BANANA is just a label used to identify the CD-ROM. But the CONFIG is missing, so there is no 'Banana' present.

Thanks for the help. Now I can go to sleep.  :D

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 02:27:26 AM »