Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is there a software that syncs savegames to a server for other pc?  (Read 7247 times)

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Learning is the only way
    • www.maxartwurk.com
  • Experience: Experienced
I know razer cortex used to do it, as a sideline and you used to manually find the savegame location (because every game has a weird folder to put them in) and it sent it to google drive or dropbox. but last time i checked this feature was over and I wondered if anyone took the time to further this idea and make it so that you did not have to google the location for every game's savegame locvation.

Shandy

Intermediate
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Is there a software that syncs savegames to a server for other pc?
    « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 11:09:28 AM »
    Yes. Steam.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 03:30:03 PM »
    But the games need to be licensed through steam. And not all games saved states are stored at steam. I have some titles that the saved game state data doesn't carry over between computers. However if I copy the contents from steam folder from one computer to the next I then am able to get the saved game states for the few games that steam doesn't store. One such game that steam doesn't seem to store the saved game state for is GTA San Andreas. Once I copied the GTA SA folder from one computer to the other then I was able to have access to all my unlocked content.

One way to replicate saved game states would be to use cloud storage and point the games to be installed in the local hard drive or SSD folder that is to be sync'd with the cloud. With a rule set to save the latest information to cloud storage then just about any game that supports a saved game state in file form could be backed up to cloud storage. With multiple computers with that cloud storage setup on them and same folder structure for game installations would mean that the saved game states should carry over. Biggest thing would be at boot of the system you want to use to wait for the local folder that is a mirror of your cloud storage to sync and update prior to launching the game of choice to avoid loading old saved game state data or even worse a file in use issue that can cause a crash condition in the game as the game is trying to read-in the saved game state that is in the process of being overwritten from the cloud.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 03:47:48 PM »
    Steam only syncs saves if the game supports "Cloud" saves. Otherwise, the main difference is where that save data is stored.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.