Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 networks one internet connection  (Read 3180 times)

TheTwister

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    2 networks one internet connection
    « on: October 16, 2018, 02:54:27 PM »
    I currently have 1 network at home and I want to create a second network so I can teach myself some networking.

I want to use the same internet connection that network 1 is on and access my primary computer to access files etc on my second network.

My question is; should I connect my network 2 router to my network 1 router or do it via a switch?  Or should i create a Vlan and allow my primary computer port on the switch  to connect to both of them. Or is that not possible?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: 2 networks one internet connection
    « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 05:59:51 PM »
    First step I would say is learning how to make your computer connect to internet and share files with other computers by setting up static IP Addresses and DNS information. So if your network at home is say 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 and router always gives out DHCP leases below the last value of .100 then you can safely set the computers to say 192.168.1.200 and 192.168.1.201 and learn how to create network shares and gateway connection to internet through router and  set up the DNS connection to go to a specific DNS server from your ISP or another out there such as Google or Open DNS etc.

You should do reading on Networking though to learn how its all works and read up and understand the OSI Model. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

niketathakare

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: 2 networks one internet connection
      « Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 11:22:02 PM »
      This approach is essentially an extension of the technique described in the Setting up File and Printer sharing between two routers Problem Solver and has the same effect of blocking file and printer sharing traffic entering the WAN side of each router. The difference in this setup is that we've separated clients into two groups, each behind its own firewall that blocks any data not requested by a client behind the firewall trying to come into the WAN side of its router.

File and Printer sharing doesn't work between the two groups because although data passes through the originating computer's firewall just fine, it's blocked from entering the firewall of the computer in the other group. However, all clients can freely connect to the Internet as long as they initiate the data request, even through the request has to pass through two firewalls to get there.