Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ubuntu still won't install, errors near the end, even tried PheonixOS, doesn't w  (Read 6682 times)

Coco423

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Any ideas on why I can't get Ubunty 18.04 LTS to work on my Thinkpad hard drive, but is perfectly fine booting off a flash drive?

And why, PheonixOS, a Android type, still won't install either, just leaves a blank black screen after it supposedly said it was done "installing and ready to reboot?" Which I can't even get that one to boot off a flash drive install either?

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
    During installation, did you install GRUB to /dev/sda? Do you get to a GRUB prompt at all?

Are there any known compatibility issues with your laptop? Anything listed for it on LinLap?

You might want to check your partitioning with e.g. GParted Live. Take a look at your disk partitions, make sure there's nothing unexpected listing there, like an old recovery partition you don't need anymore. I use GParted because the Ubuntu installer's built in partition editing is not the best.
    Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

Coco423

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Would there be any compatibility issues with this hardware?

Thinkpad W500
    Core 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz - 64 bit
    512 MB ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 HD
    160 GB 7200 RPM HDD
    4 GB RAM

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Coco423,
    Have you ever installed Linux another computers?
    I think your hard drive is going bad.
    Try to install it on another hard drive. Ubuntu will install to an external HDD, if you want. Look atthis:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/446682/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-portable-external-hard-drive
    Does that help any?