Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 10 latest update (1809) makes intenal 4TB HDD unreadable any help?  (Read 10843 times)

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Learning is the only way
    • www.maxartwurk.com
  • Experience: Experienced
I dislike windows 10 because is has so many issues windows 7 never had, but win7 can't see more that 2tb on 3tb and bigger drives, and i recently replaced my three 2tbs for two 4tb and one 6tb and tried to make it look as much as possible like win 7 with classic shell and all.

I tried the latest update to see if it corrected the LAN folder sharing issues (cant detect my shared drives or folder or pc from other devices (cellphone) or pc) and once 1809 installed, my E: drive disappeared and can be only seen as Local Disk (E:) as a RAW drive in Disk Management.
This happened once, and I reinstalled windows 10 without 1809 update and the disk was there like nothing had happened.

Why does this happen? Can I resurface my partition for free and correct the error using a hdd partitons or management software? Can i go back to win7 with no fear or loosing all my data on my 4tb+ drives? Any help for the windows 10 sharing issues?

Thanks

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Win 10 latest update (1809) makes intenal 4TB HDD unreadable any help?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 01:02:56 PM »
What Partition type and file system was present on "E" drive?

Note that ReFS support was removed on non-enterprise/server SKUs in 1803 so if you are updating from something before 1803 to 1809 and use ReFS it will show as RAW.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
    « Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 01:06:18 PM »
    You are not alone. Windows update 1809 has caused data loss for many users.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/10/06/microsoft-confirms-windows-10-update-mistake-was-your-data-lost/#73ea63e3665b

I have two machines that I updated to 1809. The first had no problem. On the second, I lost two logical ext4 partitions -- they were completely destroyed, as if their entry in the partition table was simply erased. Yet, another logical ext4 partition in the same extended partition was untouched.

When I finally got Windows booted after all updates were complete, many of the items in my start menu were renamed to include a "(1)" at the end, apps I never use (not even Microsoft apps) were given prominent new shortcuts on the right side of the Start Menu. Etc., etc. Who knows what other strange changes were made to the registry or my system disk.

So I went to Settings, Update & Security, View update history. Under 1809, I clicked "See what's new in this update." The tips app opened to the home screen, with no information of any kind provided.

There have been some truly awful Windows Updates, but this one is arguably deserving of a class action lawsuit. Just unbelievable.
    Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Learning is the only way
      • www.maxartwurk.com
    « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 01:10:50 PM »
    The partition is GPT and formatted in ntfs, I would really much go back to win7... win10 is nothing to me aside from less screentearing while watching videos on my poor graphic card

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 01:39:21 PM »
    I was having a few problems with the previous build of Windows 10 (1803) including a 2 minute wait after desktop appearance for my start-up apps to appear. I installed 1809 and they all went away. No missing files. Complete login in 30 seconds. A guy at work accused me of lying!