Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB Card Reader not working correctly w/ error  (Read 4256 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
USB Card Reader not working correctly w/ error
« on: January 07, 2019, 12:46:27 AM »
I'm trying to view videos on the Samsung Evo plus 128gb SD card that I use in my dash cam using my PNY card reader.
 https://www.pny.com/multi-slot-usb-and-flash-card-reader

It works fine with my laptop but not correctly on my desktop PC (slow, spotty, intermittent video and audio). I tried updating the driver for this device but it says it already has the best driver installed. Device manager shows the following information which I do have a clue what it means. But I did notice it has "My Passport" included in the information. That's weird because I do have a My Passport 1TB external hard drive but it is disconnected from this PC. Could this card reader be trying to operate on the driver meant for the My Passport USB drive?
Here is the information found under the 'Events' tab in device manager:

Device USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Multiple&Prod_Card__Reader&Rev_1.00\058F63666438&0 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_WD&Prod_My_Passport_25E1&Rev_1015\575838314142364333365854&0
Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FC000000F120
Present: false

Thanks for any help!

niketathakare

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: USB Card Reader not working correctly w/ error
    « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 02:25:29 AM »
    The most common cause of an unrecognized SD card is a faulty, incorrect or outdated card reader driver. So the first thing you should do it check that your drivers are in good health. You can do this either manually or automatically:

Manual driver update – You can update your drivers manually by going to the manufacturer’s website and searching for the most recent correct driver. Note that for some drivers, you may need to try both the manufacturer of your PC and also the manufacturer of the card reader itself. If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your drivers manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy.

Automatic driver update – Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your card reader. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running or who your card reader’s manufacturer. Nor do you need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. You can simply update your card reader driver (all your drivers, actually!) automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks, and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee:

1) Download and install Driver Easy.

2) Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 10:38:07 AM »
    Can the desktop system handle the audio and video content in question if it is copied from the SD Card to another location such as a local hard drive?

The most common cause of an unrecognized SD card is a faulty, incorrect or outdated card reader driver.

Their SD Card Adapter is recognized and works, but it provides slow performance.

If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your drivers manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy.
    Driver Easy is scareware. It claims random drivers require updates- For example it will usually claim the CPU has outdated drivers, despite driver software for CPUs pretty much never being updated. (for Intel CPUs for example, the current version of intelppm.sys is from 2009).

You also left out the fact that you need to purchase the "Pro" version for it to actually be able to update anything.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 04:45:18 PM »
    Hi

Looking at what you posted about the usb thinking the card reader is the WD hard drive could be fixed by cleaning out all the history of usb devices on the Desktop.

There is this tool  https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

You can select all the usb devices and delete their support then have windows reinstall only what is currently in use. If you remove your mouse and keyboard you may need to wait until these are installed again by windows before they are usable.

If a device won't delete you may need to stop the device first.

Please let us know if this helps

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • My first self-built computer
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 04:45:15 PM »
    Yes they worked fine (audio and video) when transferred to hard drive. So I uninstalled everything associated with the WD My Passport dive, and also uninstalled the card reader. Then I reinstalled the card reader and it works fine, Subsequent re installation of the WD My Passport drivers works fine too.  Everything works as intended. Thanks again!