Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC Starts goes off then starts again then goes to BIOS  (Read 1927 times)

gats15

Topic Starter

Rookie

PC Starts goes off then starts again then goes to BIOS
    « on: January 12, 2019, 12:03:30 PM »
    Hi

When i push the power button my PC starts then cuts out for 2 seconds then starts. I beleive this is causing it to boot to the BIOS screen each time where i have to choose to keep or discard my settings to get into Windows.

Once in windows all is fine. I havent changed the BIOS since the barebones pc was bought in 2016 and it worked fine for nearly 2 years since. Checking my BIOS settings it doesn't look like anything was accidently changed. My Power supply is a good brand - EVGA 1000w bought from new. Motherboard is ASUS. What is causing this??

heres some specs:-

OS Name   Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Version   10.0.17134 Build 17134
    Other OS Description    Not Available
    OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation
    System Name   DESKTOP-GG1S19J
    System Manufacturer   NOVATECH LTD
    System Model   BB-X000744
    System Type   x64-based PC
    System SKU   BB-X000744
    Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date   American Megatrends Inc. 0801, 31/08/2015
    SMBIOS Version   3.0
    Embedded Controller Version   255.255
    BIOS Mode   Legacy
    BaseBoard Manufacturer   ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM)   16.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory   15.9 GB
    Available Physical Memory   10.5 GB
    Total Virtual Memory   18.3 GB

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PC Starts goes off then starts again then goes to BIOS
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 03:39:21 PM »
    Sometimes the 2032 battery can cause issues like this. I'd go into the BIOS and write down any settings you have that are custom and replace the battery and then once battery replaced then go in and verify that the settings are back to correct if custom configured from the default settings. Battery voltage should measure at least 3 Volts DC any measurement lesser than 3 Volts and toss it and put in a new battery.

Other cause for this would be if an overclock condition was not stable it will default to normal clock settings to attempt to boot healthy on the 2nd attempt.

I have had a weak 2032 battery cause weirdness like your dealing with and when looking in BIOS settings all looked well, but the battery measured like 2.84 volts when I tested it. Once I put in a new Energizer 2032 voltage was 3.06 and problem went away.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 04:26:59 PM »
    Question.
    What is this?
    BIOS Mode   Legacy
    If it was made in 2015 it would not need legacy mode. Unless it was used or some other OS. Did you want legacy mode?

gats15

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 02:52:16 AM »
      Thanks for the reply, i did notice "legacy mode" on the spec list, does this mean something is outdated? If so how would i change this? Ill change the battery and see what happens as well

gats15

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 11:04:29 AM »
        Just changed the 2032 battery, seems to have worked :)