Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: trying to partition extended dos version  (Read 6802 times)

computer_hopeless2

Re: trying to partition extended dos version
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2006, 08:49:23 PM »
ok....well first...the computer i have working right now...does NOT have a floppy drive, can i burn images to cd and use that as a boot disc?  if not im screwed...lol

GX1_Man

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2006, 09:03:17 PM »
So you never did use the boot disk, and the Caldera message was from Partition Magic. Shame on you!  ::) ::) ::) ::) Info like that can be helpful ("I don't have a floppy drive").

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

If you are making a CD from a computer running Windows 98SE and have Nero:

If you scroll down the left hand side of the first pane in Nero, below Data CD, Music CD etc is a bootable option.
Nero will ask you for a image source. You can make this by using the 'sys' command on a floppy disk. Alternatively you could try using a traditional startup disk, but I'm not sure which files it copies. I can't see any need to have the 'boot with CDROM support' option.

Don't forget to put other useful files in the root directory such as fdisk, format and scandisk.

computer_hopeless2

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 11:08:49 AM »
thank you for the information, im trying it as we s peak, and i did say i didnt have a floppy, about the seventh message down....thanks again ill let ya know how it turns out!!!  Brandee

computer_hopeless2

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 11:22:52 AM »
ok, so i tried it, and that same stupid page came up about dr dos 7.3 with the command prompt A:> so im not doing something correctly obviously, but what im unsure of!   And what do they mean by copying file folder from existing windows cd i386...where would i find that folder?  I do not have a windows cd, as it was downloaded with the computer when i bought it....

GX1_Man

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 11:38:46 AM »
The i386 folder in only on NT systems including Windows 2000 and windows XP, not on WIndows98. Itt contains all of the files to install those operating systems.

Are you trying to boot with the Partition Magic CD in the drive?

computer_hopeless2

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2006, 02:10:15 PM »
no, there is nothing in the drive except whatever it is ive downloaded from those sites you gave me.....

computer_hopeless2

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2006, 04:52:11 PM »
alright to give a quick update....THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE.....ive finally got windows 98 downloaded, however i seemed to wipe out the driver for my network card and am now trying to figure out what a network card looks like so i can find the name to download the driver...lol....this weekend has been a peach...haha...thanks again for the windows advice.....love this site ... its my new best friend...

GX1_Man

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2006, 06:27:07 PM »
alright to give a quick update....THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE.....ive finally got windows 98 downloaded, however i seemed to wipe out the driver for my network card and am now trying to figure out what a network card looks like so i can find the name to download the driver...lol....this weekend has been a peach...haha...thanks again for the windows advice.....love this site ... its my new best friend...

what twas the secret to your success? We are always curious how things turned out.

Can you post the computer or motherboard make and model? Then we can get the driver to make the network card (and probably other things) work.