Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Streaming  (Read 3625 times)

stan319

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Streaming
    « on: February 14, 2019, 01:03:36 PM »
    Hi guys,
      I'm not real good with this computer stuff.  If I would pay to stream a song from Amazon, could I put that song on a CD and how would that work.
      If you are going to answer this. Answer like you are talking to a dummy...........................you are.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Streaming
    « Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 01:24:27 PM »
    I suggest buying the song as a MP3 vs trying to capture a stream to record into a digital audio format. Amazon has where you can purchase music as MP3's. You can then use software of choice to then copy MP3's to a CD for playing it on a Car Stereo CD player in a CD Audio format.

https://www.amazon.com/MP3-Music-Download/b?ie=UTF8&node=163856011

stan319

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 03:09:34 PM »
      Can I do that to a laptop that's real old?
      I'm 68 and not really up on what a computer can or cannot do or how to do some of it.
      I can rip CD's and burn the tracks on a CD-R, but the rest is kinda hit or miss.
      What ( in very simple terms) is an MP3?

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 08:15:30 PM »
      mp3 is short for MPEG (Motion Picture Experts Group) Layer-3 sound file. Basically, a digital format that is an alternative to the CD audio.

Also, just wondering what software are you using to rip/burn CD tracks and what laptop do you have?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 09:32:23 PM »
      MP3 is  compressed format that takes less space that the standard CD audio track.
      Programs the convert MP3 to another format and burn to an audio CD are not new. I think they go back almost twenty years.

Part of the music industry hates MP3. They resist the idea of having several hours of music on a single CD. That iswhy , IMO, it is hard to buy a CD boom box that can read MP3 from a CD. Once I did find a low-cost CD portable that could read either standard CD audio or MP3 on a CD. Wish I still had it. Hasted to find. :'(

EDIT: Required reading for us ole men. (I am 80.)
      https://www.thoughtco.com/history-of-mp4-1992132
      The German company Fraunhofer-Gesellshaft developed MP3 technology and now licenses the patent rights to the audio compression technology—the United States Patent 5,579,430 for a "digital encoding process". The inventors named on the MP3 patent are Bernhard Grill, Karl-Heinz Brandenburg, Thomas Sporer, Bernd Kurten, and Ernst Eberlein.

stan319

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 09:06:17 AM »
        I have a Dell Latitude D630 and I know it's a dinosaur, but it does everything I want it to. It has a "media maker" program (?) on it and I use that to rip and burn.