Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What Projects people have running on their systems?  (Read 3291 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
What Projects people have running on their systems?
« on: February 18, 2019, 01:42:56 PM »
There are all sorts of projects out there for using CPU and GPU processing power for farming cyber currency to data for BOINC projects and more. I was looking over my BOINC account and was thinking it would me neat to hear from others that have a single system or bunch of systems, what hardware specs your running and operating costs for electricity and what projects you have going on if you would like to share with us here?  You can even share about any special projects you have going on too that you coded up yourself and what your doing etc if you want to share that as well.

Myself I have run up to 15 computer systems plus 4 ARM processing smart phones at the same time in the past for BOINC for mostly the Asteroids project that they have going on to map out asteroids in the asteroid belt and measure where they are located and their drift to calculate a means of discovering future asteroid impact threats with earth. Currently I had my systems not processing, but I am going to run the extra smart phones that I have that have a very small electricity cost and the CPU processing power per Watt of power used when last measured was the equivalent of a Core 2 Duo CPU system.

I also have had private projects in the past that I threw CPU processing power at to look for weak keys with a basic encryption program that I had that was substitution of ASCII to hide the true contents of text files, so that keys were needed to unlock and remove the bogus data from the real data and make it viewable again in its original form.

My 2 most powerful systems I own are AMD FX8350 4.0Ghz 8-core and a AMD FX-8300 3.3Ghz 8-core.

However I rarely power these systems on because I enjoy using my low power Desktop System with a Laptop CPU ITX Motherboard, AMD A8-5545m 1.7Ghz Quadcore with 2.7Ghz Turbo system for most of everything that I do which makes for cheaper electric bills. The system runs on around 37 watts idle and can consume as much as 75 watts when running full tilt in its turbo mode.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: What Projects people have running on their systems?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 02:18:20 PM »
For a while I had used a custom-built CMS I put together on my website for handling downloads. It was a true-blue pain- I'd have to build the project, build the new installer, make sure it had the right version, upload it to my website, then update my downloads database with a thrown together submit form. It wasn't hard but I seldom could be bothered.

Over the past year or so I've had a Jenkins CI Server on my Low-power AMD 5350 System- primarily intended to solve this problem.

I have several of my github projects configured. If I make changes, they are detected and the computer downloads the source changes then rebuilds the project. If I bothered to make one yet, it will also built the installer for that new build. The version number is set automatically and the program even has the Git commit hash injected, in case it wants to show it in about dialogs or something. Only one program I have set up I've bothered to have an installer script for so far, though.

Every morning a separate scheduled task runs which will upload the latest of any new builds to my website.

Furthermore, in the wordpress downloads page I have the projects that are automatically built in this fashion configured not to point at a specific file on the server but instead at a php file, which always initiates a download of the latest installer.

The end result is that if I was to make a change to my Tetris clone, it should appear automatically as a brand new installer within a day or two.

So far it's only on the one project, mostly as I've not made worthwhile changes to any of the others and haven't bothered to create an installer script for them either.

It is on the AMD system to save power. I don't want something like that running in the background of my main desktop, and I don't want to have my "old build" (QX6600) system on 24/7 because that's basically the computer power equivalent of an SUV. Thew automated build stuff also doesn't need to be concerned about performance- if it takes a bit longer to build than it's not a big deal.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
Re: What Projects people have running on their systems?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 06:26:39 PM »
Pretty cool BC. I like that you too are using a lower power system to reduce electric bill operating cost with that project.

I too have one of those socket AM1 systems, mine is with the Sempron 3850 Quadcore 1.3Ghz, but it was starting to lag for some reason and random crashes without reason so when the A8-5545m Quadcore 1.7Ghz with 2.7Ghz turbo build came along with far better performance. Having the faster than 1.3Ghz clock, and more CPU Cache made a big difference for slightly higher power consumption. Not sure what I am going to do with the Sempron 3850 Kabini since even with a Live Linux on USB stick it would crash and reboot. I thought power supply, swapped that out and still happened. MEMTEST86 passed too. I yanked the Gigabyte AM1 motherboard with that CPU in it and pulled the DDR3 1600Mhz RAM out of it to place into this newer A8-5545m Biostar A68N ITX motherboard and no crashes now. I figured that because the AM1 builds are so cheap that possibly corners were cut in quality on the $40 Gigabyte brand board with $35 APU and thats why after 18 months of operation running 24/7 it started to fail.

As far as installers go. I've never made an installer for any programs I have created, other than one larger project that was spanned across 4 DVD-R's for my 15.3GB Unreal Tournament 99 installer that added 14GB of maps for different deathmatch rooms as created by the community that played and continue to play and create custom maps for the game. I basically wrote a batch within C++ that used system calls to complete batch instructions and named it setup.exe at the root of the 4 DVD-R's. Not a professional installer but a cleaner looking batch process in a C++ console execution environment.

I found a website that had thousands of maps for download and instead of downloading them one by one, I used HTTrack to create an exact copy of the website for these maps which took about 4 days because I set HTTrack to a slow throttled copy so that the owner of the website wouldnt get hammered too badly with download and page requests. I then ran a batch that grabbed all the .zip files that were farmed from it. Then ran a virus scan across all these zips to make sure nothing bad in any of them. Then deleted the mirror copy of the website and then ran a script with 7-zip to unzip the gigs of maps. Then virus scan the entirety once again to double check and then go through the process of setting up the folder structure of the maps files which also had audio files and other texture contents that needed to be imported to UT99's directory structure for the game to find them all. Then decided to backup all these maps onto 4 DVD-R's with C++ wrapped batch instructions via system calls that basically xcopied the contents from the DVD-R's onto the default target directory for UT99.

Its kind of overkill to have that many maps for the game. I have only sampled maybe 40 of thousands of them so far. But I like that I have UT99 with almost every map ever made for it in my game collection now.

At some point I probably should learn how to make a installer for programs that is professional looking, but the only dependency with some programs is that .Net Framework of a specific version or newer installed to avoid error messages, and my programs are ones that I write for myself and so I know to make sure that Dot Net version 3.5 or newer is installed for example on the system that is going to run my C# program etc. Sometimes though I go to run a program of a few years ago on a clean build of XP SP3 for example and forget to update Dot Net and then the crash error is a reminder that I need to install Dot Net 3.5 to get it to execute and run properly.  ;D

I suppose a greater importance with an installer would be one that is a Windows Environment program that adds and edits registry keys and places itself properly into the Program listing of the system and registered with Windows as an installed program to single or all users, so that when no longer needed etc a clean uninstall can also be achieved.