Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Visual Studio 6 installation failed - now impossible to start it again  (Read 2739 times)

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Hi!

I have installed Windows 10.1809 x64 Pro and used VS6Installer to install Visual Studio 6.
    Installation failed and I tried it again - problem is that it starts at point where it never reached - offers me to install InstallShield.
    But all parts before were not installed.

I cleaned all known from VS6Installer, checked traces by SoftOrganizer, reboot but it is not possible to start VS6 installation from scratch.

I know that it is easy to use restore point, but I don't want to do it 'cause it is rare when is system correctly recovered.
    Can anybody help me to clean traces where I searched not?

Thank you for each help.
    Miro

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Visual Studio 6 installation failed - now impossible to start it again
    « Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 08:52:16 PM »
    You may have to use a special program to get rid of the things left over.

You should know that Visual Studio 6 is an old product and shouldn't installed on a newer system. But it can be done. Carefully. This links says so:
    https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1191047/Install-Visual-Studio-on-Windows
    Clean Up Previous Attempts

If you are reading this article, you have no doubt already attempted to install Visual Studio 6.0 on Windows 10 already and it has failed.  If this is the case you will need to do some manual cleanup first before we get started.  Follow these steps to manually clean up any previous installation attempts:

Maybe that might help.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 09:08:01 PM »
    Visual Studio 6

To clarify- mostly as it might help with any google searches on the issue- the product which included Visual Basic 6.0, Visual C++ 6.0, Visual FoxPro 6.0, Visual Interdev 6.0, And Visual J++ 6.0 is called "Visual Studio 98".

and used VS6Installer to install Visual Studio 6.

You'd probably want to contact the person who made this aftermarket utility. I'm not entirely sure why it exists- Visual Studio 98 installs just fine on Windows 10 with the included setup program when run as admin. Have you tried that?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 09:14:48 PM »
      Thank you for link.

VS6Installer is tool to help installing VS6 on Windows 10 - nothing more.
      I try link from you and willl report.

Miro